What's new

3 Brush vs 5 Brush Systems

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'am in the process of doing a major remodel at our wash from LED lighting to Octaform Wall paneling and everything is set except for the friction system, we currently have a Ryko Softgloss XS that's 13 yrs old, I'am going with the WashWorld Razor to replace our Ryko OHD which is also 13 yrs old, I have been waiting for any news from WashWorld on the Profile MAXX I have spoken with WashWorld about it but they are not saying much about it. The new Ryko Softgloss MAXX is a good machine but you have limits to what you can wash with it, I'm seeing alot more bigger vehicles come to my wash that want a friction wash but I cannot accommodate them due to size/width.

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I see no advantage in a 5 brush machine over a 3 brush. I have a 3 brush that washes anything but a dually and does a great job. I can't see where 2 extra brushes would help, and the extra moving parts says extra maintenance to me.

BBE

Reaction score
Great choice on the razor! That's unfortunate washworld won't say much about the profile max. I saw it last year in Chicago and it looked like a machine to definitely keep your eye on. Kind of a cross between a pdq tandem and d&s's IQ soft touch. Maybe we will find out more in Vegas about it.

washnshine

Reaction score
The only thing I do not like about the 3 brush units is that they tend to have the guillotine style top brush. I know it can wash in both directions unlike the cantilever style, but the extra controls and sensing required for successful operation can be more problematic. It's one more thing to malfunction and/or cause damage to a vehicle.

Other than that, many of the newer 3 brush units that are out now look great - they have large openings for many types of vehicles. Most of them have great high pressure pre-wash cycles, thorough wheel cleaning options and great delivery of most of the modern chemicals/waxes and sealants, etc. and rain arches. Plus - only three brushes that need to have the foam changed instead of five.

I think you would be fine with any mentioned in the above post.

Let us know what you get!

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I watched a crew cab long box dually with a ball hitch in the receiver go thru our PDQ Tandem friction wash yesterday.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
5-touch performs more work than 3-touch system. The reason is more horsepower is being delivered to the surfaces.

How much a difference it is depends on factors like type and/or mix of cleaning material, rotational speed, top brush versus curtain, machine calibration, etc.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
5-touch performs more work than 3-touch system. The reason is more horsepower is being delivered to the surfaces.

How much a difference it is depends on factors like type and/or mix of cleaning material, rotational speed, top brush versus curtain, machine calibration, etc.
Well that cleared it up...

DiamondWash

Reaction score
If I we're to go with another 5 brush system it would have to be from Oasis Car Wash Systems the Baywash I5 is a solid system.

washnshine

Reaction score
If I we're to go with another 5 brush system it would have to be from Oasis Car Wash Systems the Baywash I5 is a solid system.
This is a fast wash cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCSHGf6Zx9I

The coverage takes less time on the front and rear of the car than the 3 brush machines. The top brush that drops to the bumpers on the front and back on the 3 brush machines eats up a lot of time too.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
If only Ryko would redesign the SoftGloss MAXX like this especially the rear arms, and the length of Foambrite are just a few things I would like to see changed.

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
What specifically do you not like about the soft gloss maxx rear arms. Have you ever thought about using neoglide in a different length on the soft gloss.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have a Belanger Freestyler 5 brush system currently in place for a year and a half now and it is an absolute workhorse and really cleans all vehicles really well. It is a very well designed and proven machine. I haven't had any serious problems with it at all that I couldn't fix myself. If it was out of service it would never take me more than 30 mins to trouble shoot it. The only thing I ever had to replace on it was a high pressure hose and 1 soap opto-isolator (fancy name for an output switch) which lasted over 25,000 washes. It has been a set it and forget it machine and no need of constant adjusting. Just keep it clean and lubricated and it just runs like it should. This is the first friction machine that I have ever owned and have had several other touch-free machines. This Freestlyer takes very little maintenance compared to some of the touch-free machines I have had. If I were to buy another friction machine it would be another freestyler, very happy and pleased with this machine.

trentu

Reaction score
Like the speed, but why does the top brush spin for no reason? Don't like sloppy engineering. Seems like a lot of the IBA machines have some of that going on lately. Wears out equipment faster, requires more maintenance touches. Thanks

This is a fast wash cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCSHGf6Zx9I

The coverage takes less time on the front and rear of the car than the 3 brush machines. The top brush that drops to the bumpers on the front and back on the 3 brush machines eats up a lot of time too.

MEP001

Reaction score
Probably to clean the brush and prevent dirty water from dripping on the car when it's done.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I think drippage is the reason for the brush spinning for "No reason". After reading these posts, I've only gleaned two benefits from the 5 brush machine. It will probably be a little faster. It should fit in a shorter bay. I've read nothing to make me think that it will turn out a cleaner car.

mac

Reaction score
WikiWash, be very careful about praising any machine. Somehow they listen to what we say and come back to bite us.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“After reading these posts, I've only gleaned two benefits from the 5 brush machine. It will probably be a little faster. It should fit in a shorter bay. I've read nothing to make me think that it will turn out a cleaner car.”

Think in terms of power or the rate of doing work. The watt is unit of power that expresses energy transfer with respect to time.

The higher the wattage, the more power or the more electrical energy is used per unit time.

Watts = amps X volts

Basic 5-brush drive-thru wash system (no dryer) is rated at 10-hp and produces 6,240 watts.

5-brush roll-over gantry (no dryer) adds 5-HP, more amps and produces 12,580 watts.

3-brush roll-over (no dryer) rated at 10-hp but produces only 8,320 watts.

5-brush hybrid (friction and high-pressure, no dryer) rated at 20-hp, 185 amps and produces 38,480 watts.

Conversely, touch-less gantry (no dryer) is also rated at 20-hp but produces only 20,800 watts.

Time depends on how the work is accomplished.

For example, 5-brush soft-cloth gantry might travel at 7 meters per minute (covers 23’ guide rail length) during scrubbing cycle whereas it might move twice as fast during pre-soak.

Amount of work can be affected by wash material. For example, rotating foam brushes can spin much faster than conventional soft-cloth thereby doing more work in the same amount of time.

A five brush system can reach 67 percent more surface area than three brush system per unit of time.

Proof is cleaner car cost more money.

5-brush uses 45 gallons water, unit variable cost $0.50.

5-brush hybrid uses 130 gallons water, unit variable cost $1.00