What's new

2nd Hydraulic Pack

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Hello!

Out of Curiosity,how many operators here have a separate hydraulic Pack for only their conveyor. I am maxed out on my hydraulic unit.

Thinking of getting another unit to relieve my current one and may be able to add more wash equipment later. (i.e. 2nd set of wraparounds)

Any thoughts appreciated!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I have always used a seperate hydraulic pack for my conveyor. It makes sense for a couple of reasons. I like to be able to only turn on the other pieces of equipment when there is actually a vehicle in that area of the wash. I use 4 seperate packs to accomplish this. I also use water based hydraulic fluid for everything but the conveyor. The conveyor gets the most use and runs the hottest making oil a better choice.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Same here. Separate for the conveyor with Oil and typically 3 others with water based fluid.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
What water based fluid are you using? Who is your source for it?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Get mine from Hoffman Services In illinois. I'll have to check the name.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
7.5hp fixed displacement hydraulic unit with no speed control with it's motor controlled by a VFD. You can set up a few speeds on the VFD and select various conveyor speeds with switches if you want. We order it with an inverter duty motor since our slow speed runs the motor at 35hz. The motor has a small fan mounted on the end of the motor running at full speed to keep it cool when the 7.5hp motor runs slow. Here's an example of a Baldor Motor: http://www.baldor.com/catalog/IDM2276T

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
7.5hp fixed displacement hydraulic unit with no speed control with it's motor controlled by a VFD. You can set up a few speeds on the VFD and select various conveyor speeds with switches if you want. We order it with an inverter duty motor since our slow speed runs the motor at 35hz. The motor has a small fan mounted on the end of the motor running at full speed to keep it cool when the 7.5hp motor runs slow. Here's an example of a Baldor Motor: http://www.baldor.com/catalog/IDM2276T
That's a cool setup Tom, but a $3000 motor plus a VFD seems a little excessive to me.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
$5,257 was the total actually for the complete hydraulic unit + around $400-500 for the VFD. I think $3,000 for a motor is list price. The hydraulic unit is a "Cadilac" setup made by a Vicker's distributor. https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy1557gl17s3zdc/Conveyor Hydraulic Unit.pdf?dl=0

It's driving a monster Hodge conveyor and needed a 20 gpm pump for the hydraulic motor and Heco gear reduction. It costs $1,200 an hour to be down so spending a little extra on good gear pays off over time.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I was at a location once that had dual motors and Hydraulic pumps on a single tank for the conveyor. All he needed to do was throw a switch and valve or two to go from one to the other . Thought that was a sweet backup plan.