What's new

27 Cents is 27 Cents...No?

GreenTreeCarWash

Reaction score
I am about to open a newly rehabbed SS car wash. I am trying to decide on pricing and start times. My competition is as follows: Wash B charges $2.00 for 3:36 secs. = 27 cents per min. Wash C charges $2.25 for 4 mins. = 26.67 cents per min.

I am thinking of charging $1.75 for 3:15 seconds = 27 cents per min.

Competition B & C are both newer washes. Both have 5-SS & 3-Autos.

My wash has been in disrepair for 4+ years. The whole car wash has been rehabbed. (A+ look/feel), but the bays are a tad skinny. 14 1/2 wide. The competition has 15-16 feet wide. My wash has 4 SS bays and a Smog Check station in the old Automatic Bay.

Question: $1.75 pricing seems a value even though it is the same per minute price. Thoughts?

Eric H

Reaction score
I would not advise having the lowest startup price in a market. The bottom feeders (i.e.: trash dumpers/mudders) tend to gravitate to a place where they think they can spend the least amount of money even it the per minute price . You spent a lot of time and effort building this wash back up. Pay yourself for it!

GreenTreeCarWash

Reaction score
FYI: Because of the Smog Check Station, the Car Wash will be monitored from 7:15am-6pm with a full time attendant.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree with Eric, don't be the cheapest. Make the start-up at least $2 for whatever amt. of time you decide on. Don't struggle with the amt. of time because the customer is not going to do the math.

Robert2181

Reaction score
I agree. if you have completely done a rehab, you should be able to charge a little bit more (time or money). don't worry about the bay size.

Etowah

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree about the bay size as well. I've been around the CW biz since 1969. Back then, we had 16' wide bays, but the cars were the size of the Queen Mary. Your bay size is adequate.