What's new

220 air compressor

wendy's wash

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I purchased a 220 vertical 60gal compressor from Lowes. For the last 28 years I had been using 110 compressors and average about 1 year before they would break down. Cost as cheep as 139.95 from Harbor freight. Liked 110 as easy to replace or take back to store if one broke under warrenty. Installed 220 unit and thought I was going to get years of use but sales man who sold unit did not give me manuel or breather cap for oil. Pressure caused seals to start leaking. Lowes gave me a new one. Yesterday went to wash and curcuit blown. Reset and rest breaker on compressor. Looked like 4th of july as sparks went everywhere. This unit was in less than 90 days. Luckly the warrenty was good for another 13 days. This is cr--p for warrenty. Commercial use is 90 days. This unit cost 447.95 is this problem with Lowes units, just my bad luck or is this a bad place to buy compressors. Repair company coming out this morning to replace motor under warrenty. My problem after the next 12 days.

Rudy

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. If you want to go through a $500 transaction every year or so.....go for it.

I bought an Eaton Compressor 10 years ago for a little over a grand. It's been flawless. I put a couple of new air filters on every year or so when I change the oil.

I even went to the extra hassle of going 3-phase with the unit...another great call. This thing runs cool, and quiet.

Do it right the first time....and you'll be money ahead.

BTW....if you want to see how to set it up and have really dry air....check this link:

http://forum.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?t=6984

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Great! I just bought a Lowe's compressor today. I bought the best one they had and my plan is to plumb it into my Curtis (new pump should be here tomorrow). That way I will have 140 gallons of air storage and 2 compressors in case 1 goes out. I hope to never have another air issue again!

wendy's wash

Reaction score
I guess my post got lost in translation. I cant believe that a Campbell Hausfeld 220 vertical 60gal. tank with a 3.2hp motor with a sticker price of $479.00 would be a (you get what you pay for). My original rant was how they could put on compressor that it has a 4 year limited warranty and not in bold letters say but if you use it on commercial property we then only give you 90 days. Things break but this seems so very quick. Compressor runs one Flow jet pump and 6 - quarter inch lines to bays for foambrush only. Runs nothing else. Tech installed new motor and said good luck for the next 12 days left on warranty. I asked if compressor turned in to a pumpkin on 13th day.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you want a compressor that will last in a commercial application, you need one rated for continuous duty. What you got is mainly for a do-it-yourselfer's garage.

keniniowa

Reaction score
I have a real dislike of anything branded Campbell Hausfeld. Weekend warrior garbage.

Look for a cast iron pump(or at least liners), pressure fed oiling, name brand motor, rpm at which hp is rated(your 3.2 is really a 1.5)

Don't even get why guys cheap out on compressors. A grand-$1200 will buy a compressor that should last indefinitely.

Randy

Reaction score
Wendy’s Wash – I wouldn’t pay these guy’s to much never mind. A 60 gal. Campbell Hausfeld Air compressor is more than sufficient for a 6 bay car wash that you’re only running one Flo-Jet G5700 pump at. I’ve been running a 3 hp 20 gal. Sanborn since 1994 with only a couple of minor pressure switch issues, no major problems. I also have one Flo-jet pump G57 pump that I supply air to. If I needed more air then I’d think about a bigger compressor. The key to long longevity with an air compressor is to run them slow.

MEP001

Reaction score
Randy said:
Campbell Hausfeld Air compressor is more than sufficient for a 6 bay car wash that you’re only running one Flo-Jet G5700 pump at.
Then he must be lying about the problems with his compressor.

Etowah