What's new

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander dented hood and roof from the blowers

el jefe

el jefe
Reaction score
Had a customer in 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander come in and complain about some dents in their hood and roof. After inspection and witnessing it going through the wash it seems as though the panels are too weak to withstand the blowers. There is noticeable dents in both panels. Did some google searching and it showed on Kelley Blue Book site under a review that a customer had the same problem. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“....witnessing it going through the wash it seems as though the panels are too weak to withstand the blowers. There are noticeable dents in both panels.”

Without some photos of the size, shape and position of dents, I can only speculate.

For example, damage from a blower nozzle would look very different than dents caused by a baseball, icicle, hail stone, etc.

Hood is a subsystem. It has hinges, insulation and inner and often outer panel design for rigidity as well as crash component. Most roofs are more substantial than hood.

Apply some common sense. Assume a 10 hp producer generates velocity of 155 mph.

Subject vehicle is capable of 100 mph or more and it is not uncommon for wind to gust 50 to 60 mph or more. Combined this is 160 mph or more.

Next, we can assume our cars are designed to withstand this type of force and most likely a good deal more before sustaining wind damage.

So, although I have not seen the dents, I would not rule out the cause may be with the vehicle itself.

For example, it could be design or manufacturing defect like broken weld, premature metal fatigue, etc.

I would have dents inspected by an expert like auto body technician with ASE certification.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
We don't build 'em... we just wash 'em...