What's new

2 step high ph, WOW!!!!!

termn8tr

Reaction score
After 2 years, I finally experimented with a 2 step high ph presoak and the results are incredible. And here I thought all this time that, low ph is used to clean windows and chrome, ya right. With the 2 step high ph everything comes out
clean and shiny. I guess it doesn't hurt to experiment and try something new.
We operate a touch free Oasis XP unit, and are located in Windsor Ontario CANADA. (next to Detroit MI)

BigK

Reaction score
May I ask what brand/name of presoak you are using?

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
are you just applying the same presoak twice or they different strengths?

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
We have switched all of our two step sites to a one step alkaline product (Supreme Clean by Ryko) and every customer I have spoken with has seen an improvment in wash quality. We titrate both steps the same.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have played with low/high in the past. I seem to get consistently better cars with high/high. All that supposed "energy release" when low mixes with high always seemed to be B.S. to me. Might want to pull the low back out and experiment when the snow comes back though.

termn8tr

Reaction score
I was also wandering what would happen in the winter. It seems that the bugs are coming off better now with the high/high step. ( putting on 4oz. per car) Thanks for your comments.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you experience cold weather in the winter you will probably have to kick up the concentration or increase the water temperature or do a little of both.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me what the purpose is of running two passes of the same chemical (high) at the same strength. I have thought about trying just the high ph but if I do, it I plan on using one pass. It doesn't make sense to use two passes of the same strength of high, it seems like a waste of money. I use a lot less of my lo ph chem than the high so if I am going to run two passes of the high it will cost me more money, not less. The only things I can come up with that make sense is the customers perspective. They would still see two passes and you are getting longer dwell time on the first pass which could be done by reprogramming the computer to a longer dwell. I am satisfied with the chemicals I am using now but I was told that the low ph does basicly nothing. If I try one pass of high ph and the cars still look good, I can't see what a second pass would do except cost more money.

termn8tr

Reaction score
It is not costing you more money. I was putting on 3.5 to 4 oz per car of PS2 on one step and now I just divided by 2, by applying 1/2 on the first step. still using the same amount, & it looks good to the customer, and the cars are coming out mint.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I now understand BUT, if you cut the strength in half why does it clean the same or better? By the time the second pass gets to the car, all the cleaning should be done and since the second pass isn't any stronger than the first why would it induce any further cleaning? sooooooooooo, my question again is: is the second pass a waste. Just a thought. I am not a chemist.

galen

Reaction score
Bud, the lonnnnger the dwell the better with these high PH soaps. I have been thinking of putting a low pressure arch just inside the door as the car comes in the bay.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been running a two-pass high pH presoak for years - I run the first pass nice and strong, the second weaker. I've always felt that the strong first pass loosens the soil, the second pass with more hot water breaks it down faster.

Mojo_Carwash

Reaction score
I use a high/high pH in my IBA. My first pass is stronger than my second pass. I thought about going to one pass also, but I was afraid the customer would think they were getting cheated since I have always done two passes. On the other hand I have to agree that the longer the high Ph sits the better the clean.

Etowah