What's new

2 More Hours in The Car Wash Business

Red Baron

Reaction score
I close on the sale of my car wash in 2 hours. Health issues with one of my parents requires me to go run the family roofing business full time now. I'm relieved and stressed all at the same time. Relieved that I'll no longer have to worry about going out to dinner and having to stop mid-fajita and drive back to Idalou to help someone having trouble with the ACW because they're trying to insert a $50 bill upside down. Relieved that I won't have to dread the hunters with their deer guts, roofers with their nails, and farmers with muddy trucks who're masters at leaving maximum mud and minimum quarters. I'm looking forward to not hating rain and snow, although it will take time to adjust.

I'm stressed because the car wash business has been good to me in the last 13 years. This last one I got lucky on, hit a homerun with the location. I'm going to miss that cash cow, I'm sure of it. I live just 1 mile away and have to drive by the car wash when I leave home - I'm sure it will give me heartburn to drive by and see those 2 IBAs stacked to the street with cars. But I'm leaving it in very capable hands.

I want to say thank you to my Auto Care Forum friends. I used this forum to build my first 2-bay SS car wash in 1997. Patrick told me I was crazy when I said I thought I could build it for under $80,000 including land...I spent $76,000:) That was about the only time Patrick was wrong that I can remember - he and many others gave solid, money-making advice over the years.

Bill, thanks for creating this forum, it has been an integral part of my success in the car wash business.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I hope you continue to post here on the forum Red. I've enjoyed your unique take on things and will miss your input. Good luck on getting back into the family business.:)

PS; Now we know what that dream was all about!:p:D

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
WOW! Well good luck! I don't post on here very much but do read alot and I will say thank you for all of your input and posts over the years.

So...
THANKS!

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Congratulations Red Baron!! I've enjoyed your posts and replies and will miss having your contributions to the forum. Check in every now and then and lets us know how you are doing.
ScottV

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with the future, do keep in touch.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Always loved your posts as I could ALWAYS feel the emotion in them! Your gonna be missed.

Good luck!

Big

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You will be missed. Try to stay in touch with us here. You are a valuable asset to the Forum.

lag

Reaction score
Maybe he will need a guy to clean up muddy bays at night.... Just kidding;)

Good luck in the future

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Congratulations Red. Sorry to hear about the parents health. I can imagine the roofing business is much more difficult than carwashes, so good luck.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I can imagine the roofing business is much more difficult than carwashes, so good luck.
Actually they both have their advantages. In the roofing business when you're off, you're off. Generally speaking you get the weekends off and you don't even check your messages till Monday morning.

Also, in the car wash business rain and/or snow is depressing because it means a lot of extra work for the coming week, worrying about ice, stuff freezing, etc. In the roofing business rain creates work, and snow creates time off.

One advantage to car washes though is that you don't have to swing a hammer for every dime.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Always thought you were a smart guy but now I know you are brilliant.
You are one of few in the car wash business that probably will make a profit this year.
Good luck

p.s. keep picking up the hoses for a while it's good therapy

Flamingo

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you for helping me get some valuable information with BOND BEAMS ..Thanks for all your help..Steve Hall

wader

Reaction score
I'm kinda new to this - now that I'm not the owner anymore, do I stop going by to pick up vac hoses and trash in the IBAs?
Now you get to use the vac and leave the hose on the ground, heck you can even drive over it on your way out. Then go through the IBA with your truck...just before you go to the landfill with all those leaves you raked up.