What's new

2 locations??

csmith

Reaction score
Just curious, does any one have two locations as well as another full time job. I have had one self serve for about 10 years, just got word of another goin up for sale within 30 mins of where i live. Just curious as to if any one else has this goin on. Wanting to how it works out for you! Thanks!!

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I have 3 locations with a complete remodel going on at my 3rd location starting today. To say I'm busy as hell is an understatement lol BUT I also have a full time maintenance guy that does the daily clean up and fixes repairs. ALSO...this is huge my full time job is in the family business I will eventually take over so that allows A LOT of flexibility you know bc I am the VP of the company but I dont take advantage of it for a second and firmly believe leading by example. I'm the first one in by a long shot and last one out by a long shot. Last but not least I have a very understanding wife lol

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Like many on this forum, I've probably already bitten off more than I can chew. With one main business (automotive workshop with 8 full time staff) and 1 SS wash, I'm about at my limit. We did consider a laundromat also, but worked out that there weren't enough hours in the day. I suppose it comes back the old saying that your can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

APW

Reaction score
I have three washes with the farthest being an hour away. I work a full time job plus do a lot of house flipping. The key is to find a good clean up man in each town and have them take care of that one wash. I have three different guys and they all go to their wash at least 2-3 times a day emptying trash and washing down bays. I had "Temporarily Out of Order" signs laminated and if something goes down they put that sign on the equipment and I go that day when I get off and fix it.

csmith

Reaction score
How much are you paying these clean up guys?

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
I have 2 washes, one 3 bay ss and one 4 ss and IBA. I also run a full time business (about 50hrs week). the 3 bay is only a half mile off my daily commute so I can stop by twice a day. No trash cans at this location and seems to be working out OK, have to pick up the "protest" litter once in a while. I visit the 4 bay with IBA once a week, my wife also visits once a week and we have a local cleaning service that visits 3 times a week to empty trash and wash down bays and mow the little bit of grass we have a couple times a month. they call me with any issues. that wash is 36 miles and 45 to 50 minute drive each way from home and over hour from my "day job". Plan was to eventually 'retire" from the main business and run the car washes to supplement social security. but already challenged by some of the physical labor and don't see me doing this at 75. Point being you will need some kind of help or wear yourself out...

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Common point here is we all have some type of help because car washes are full time jobs with trash and break downs that occur. My furthest location is 30 mins from my home and office. My other 2 locations one is 5 mins away and the other is 20 mins away and here I was thinking that was bad!

I have a trash/pickup only guy that I pay $20 bucks a visit. My 40 hr. a week maintenance guy is $19/hr. but I spread his expense between my rentals and the three car washes. If that second location is 30 mins away I would definitely plan on trying to find a good nearby clean up guy that can go by once a day at least. Personally for me I find that so long as customers are not losing money on broken down equipment they will keep coming back and understand a bay being shut down for a day for repairs.

APW

Reaction score
How much are you paying these clean up guys?
I pay them a base pay and a bonus according to how many cars we do through our IBA. I forgot the most important part. My wife and soulmate helps big time with the car washes. She visits them weekly pulling money, refilling changers and restocking the vending machine. I couldn't do it without her! I'll PM you what I pay my guys.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Im a fulltime HS coach & teacher. Have 2 wqshes 70 miles away, 1 very busy, other below avg. I have 2 fulltime employees that run everything 6 days/week, & prep all vehicles goin in our touchless (no prep on friction). I gotnpay em on Sundays after Church. About 20% of our gross goes to salaries, & i have zero problem with that.

MEP001

Reaction score
My business partner has three washes, all of which have employees to keep them clean and do minor repairs. He only visits them once a week to handle the money. I do all his repairs above changing a hose or a vac motor, and I spend maybe a couple hours a month at each one, certainly something a person could handle along with a full-time job.

coinless

Reaction score
Hi all! We have several operators on the Coinless app who operate multiple sites. We've received positive feedback from them on the way the Coinless platform handles franchises. We make your multi-site set up easy, informing your customer that points and wash credits they earn are transferable to all your locations.

We also provide slick, useful reporting for all your locations with a single sign-in. And you would have access to all your customer data at any time, giving you the ability to message anyone in seconds, using either email, or a push notification through the app.

Please give me a call. I'd love to talk about how we can simplify your multi-site challenges with the Coinless mobile-payment app and software.

Best of luck!

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
So the big issue to consider seems to be whether the multiple locations are financially strong enough to employ maintenance / cleanup people at each site. Our site isn't quite there yet financially, which limits the ability to add other sites at this stage. Maybe one day.......

Roz

Reaction score
I have all the equipment wired to my iPhone so I can usually help a customer remotely. Have a clean up person come 1-3 times a day to powerwash a bay or check equipment on a high level (ie to spot a problem) - they have a flexible schedule. I trend to do the work or have a mechanic on speed dial for the bigger issues I cannot solve. My number and email is posted everywhere as I respond all calls and email, sometimes the customer solution is a few days off which they are fine with as they know I have acknowledged them and usually have made a commitment to make issue right other times I can see they paid for a wash and the IBA did not come on so I can get them a wash immediately. Hi Def cameras everywhere allow me to see and record everything/everywhere. Some weeks if we are doing maintenance or upgrading equipment I am there everyday, some weeks I take my kids hiking for a week.

Large 110gal trash bins have eliminated a significant amount of attendant work and increased customer satisfaction. Most people can use the bin, only a rare jerk now and then misses the bin. Trash company empties them over the top of their truck twice a week. Made the change at all my washes and has been the best move. Cost of a dumpster emptied once a week vs the individual bins emptied twice a week is about the same.

csmith

Reaction score
One more big question, what would you guys value this car wash at? I know that is a very broad question.

Let me start off by saying this wash has good bones but i do not know that the current owner knew what he got into when he bought it. It used ti be a very busy wash. The wash is a 6 bay with one IBA (Mark vii Aquajet xt) with 7 vacs. The pump stands are all mark vii as well. It has two change machines, glass front vending and also has a 3 column vending box.

The wash needs major attention but i believe it could be a great location myself. It has D/H push button meter boxes they all need to be refaced and gone through (maybe even just go to the rotary switch). Out of the 10 positions in each bay only 4 work. 2 of the bays are out of order completely, will have to replace all hoses, spray guns, splat guns, and brushes in all bays. The bay signage needs to be replaced. Two vacs do not work, and most would need new domes and stickers. I have watched the IBA as well and it needs some attention to bring i back up to par. The building could be pressure wash and brought back to life. It needs a major deep clean.

It is in a great location, has a traffic count of 19k from DOT website. The property corners two streets, one being the main road in the town. There is two other self serves and an express that was built about 2 years ago. All other washes are within three miles from the property. Owner says it is netting about 30k a year, i have not look at everything myself. I have wanted to do my own home work before i ask him for all the documents. Although, i do not think it is even doing that well.

The dirt alone is worth 130,xxx.

Let me know what you guys think of this location.

Built in 97
IBA from 2010

I have also had my current self serve for 10 years so i know what maintenance is to be expected.

csmith

Reaction score
There is a ton of these that look this way in TN, they were built by national car wash years back