What's new

1st timer looking to build a 2-4 bay touch-less car wash in Southern California.

Acehigh

Reaction score
Hello to everyone In the forum. I’m am completely new to the industry and I am looking to build a 2-4 bay touch-less car wash in Southern California. I’ve done some research and narrowed down my choice of machines to the Razor edge and the laser wash 360. I’m currently looking for a designer and civil engineer to help with the plans of the building. I’ve contacted PDQ but have yet to receive a call back. I’ve spoke to what I believe to be a rep but he offered no help outside of purchasing the unit itself. Any recommendations and advice are welcome. I’ve heard the the Razor edge distributor is much better at helping with the overall process. I’m looking for any help I can get as I am new to the industry.

Thanks in advance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A 2 to 4 bay self service car wash is easy to design yourself. just drive around and look at some and you'll get the basic idea. 99% of the washes I've seen are shaped like a rectangle. You put the equipment room in the middle with the automatic bay right next to it, then on the other side of the equipment room you put your self service bays.

i'm not trying to be too negative, but the fact that you're looking for an engineer and designer to help you plan the project makes me think that you have more research to do into the industry.

yes, you will need to use a civil engineer, but that is mainly for site work considerations like drains, water and sewer connections, stormwater infiltrators, grades, and egress.

have you found a piece of land for this car wash? The right location is required for a successful carwash. I'd start there. Just figure out the size of land that you will need to accommodate the wash that you want to build. next, I would create a business plan, including overall scope of the business, marketing, and most importantly, financial projections for at least three years into the future.

If you could find a carwash that is for sale, That might be an easier route for you to enter the business.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I think you've misunderstood him. He's looking to built a multi-bay IBA site.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I think you've misunderstood him. He's looking to built a multi-bay IBA site.
Yes, and on top of that, it's an absolute necessity to have an architect versed in the locale and an engineer for every trade there is... But only because it is required by the the governing offices. Most everywhere in southern California will require every single bit to be engineered /designed professionally. Owners are not allowed to know things or think. Unless of course you have the stamp!

The equipment distributors should have at least a referral to someone that have worked with in the past. They will typically then provide car wash trade advice to the architect as needed.

Someone experienced with the town process will be very valuable to prevent expensive resubmittals. Knowing the adopted code for noise ordinances, traffic lines, traffic impact studies, public site improvements, etc. Is key to not paying over and over for attempts for site permits.

Acehigh

Reaction score
Yes, and on top of that, it's an absolute necessity to have an architect versed in the locale and an engineer for every trade there is... But only because it is required by the the governing offices. Most everywhere in southern California will require every single bit to be engineered /designed professionally. Owners are not allowed to know things or think. Unless of course you have the stamp!

The equipment distributors should have at least a referral to someone that have worked with in the past. They will typically then provide car wash trade advice to the architect as needed.

Someone experienced with the town process will be very valuable to prevent expensive resubmittals. Knowing the adopted code for noise ordinances, traffic lines, traffic impact studies, public site improvements, etc. Is key to not paying over and over for attempts for site permits.
Thank you everyone for all of the info. And yes your right I need engineering and an architect who knows car washes. I’m contacting the Razor Edge distributor today the laser wash people at pdq were no help with referrals. The current process that I’m on is finding an architect and civil engineer to design the building and traffic flow and make sure everything meets code. I have a few contractors ready to build what is designed. Also I have four plots of land that I’ve scouted out. I’m looking to go with the one that fits the most with having a car wash built. The problem I’m having is finding a designer who knows car washes, specifically touch less systems. But I’m making progress And I appreciate the comments. Thanks

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Cart before the horse.

I've built several washes in Socal.

It's fine to know what architect and engineer you will use, but you don't need them until after you secure the land.

Finding and securing sites that washes will get approved on is the most difficult part. Trust me I spend everyday doing this. As does almost every other car wash operator in Socal. Everybody is scouring for sites.

Judging by your posts, you still have lots of research to do.

Wet Spot

Reaction score
What city you building in, I know someone that has built self service Carwashs in SoCal