What's new

$1 to $2 Start up:

Washme12

Reaction score
Does anyone know the average percentage of revenue increase after going from $1 start up to $2 but giving the same amount of time? Years ago after converting to the dollars coin we went from $1.50 for 4min to $1.00 for 2 min. We are considering $2 start up for 4 min or possibly 3 min.
Any experience or suggestions?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
One local guy does differren things in different bays. Signs over bays say stuff like "Splash and Das" $1 to start. Regular bays are $2.00 with 1000 PSI listed (maybe 1200 no sure) and a few "Super Bays" with higher pressure listed and higher stratup and cost per minute.

Interesting to note that on a recent day several super bays had cars and tghe regular ones did not.

chaz

Reaction score
A bit late now, but years ago I would have gone to two dollars. A price increase to two dollars now, even with an increase in time will look like you have doubled your price. Obviously you want to increase by a dollar as you want to stick with the dollar coin platform. When I opened 7 years ago, I was at $2 for 4 minutes. I was then at the high end for my area, but I have always believed in washing fewer cars at a higher profit. My wash functions always work, and I am very quick with customer response on issues. I have recent gone to $3 for 4 minutes. So....getting back to your question, since making the price change I have noticed a nice increase in average spend per transaction. Most customer feedback has been that of a positive and understanding nature. I did have one customer demand the 50 cents back he had deposited prior to seeing the start price. Quite frankly I am happy not to have home as a customer. In your case, I would increase to $2 ASAP, even if you choose to increase the time to 4 min, as you likely will see an increase in spend and a decrease in cheap folks leaving a mess after spending a buck.