What's new

1/4 tubing verses 3/8 tubing for Low Pressure.

water guy

Reaction score
We are in the process of changing out our ss equipment and the other equipment has 1/4 tubing going to all of the bays. Our previous equipment had 3/8 tubing . What's the pros and cons of 1/4 versus 3/8 also we have procons now instead of flojet. Thanks

vguard296

Reaction score
Interested in hearing what others have to say about this as well. I had a small section of 1/4 poly with a break and had the parts and 1/2 polybraid on hand to stick in its place while I ordered what I needed. Its been several weeks and the 1/2 seems to work just fine. Tempted to leave it. I will say the foam is noticeably more fluffy than the other bays with just 1/4, so the extra surface area makes a difference.

vguard296

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but at least in my use its on the foam brush. I would think with the identical handle being the end point in all of the bays regardless of the size of poly feeding it, the larger poly size is really impacting the rate/ratio of fluid/air mix feeding into the brush. I'd guess the flojet is using as much if not more fluid with the larger size, but in fewer 'pumps'.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Personally I use ¼ for everything except spot free and tri foam there I use ⅜. Pretty happy with my results in bays so I've operated like that for some time. The extra ID space would mean more product to the bay and in the bay but also means you will consume more.

MEP001

Reaction score
Personally I use ¼ for everything except spot free and tri foam there I use ⅜.
Same, 1/4" is enough for most products if you have to throttle it down with adjustments. If some of your runs are a lot longer than others, IMO it would be better to use 3/8" tubing and let the solenoid orifice be the restrictor.

Randy

Reaction score
We use 3/8" OD Nylon tubing for everything. We've used it for years, works well and last a long time. Most of the poly tubing's that are on the market will get brittle and break if it's exposed to the sunlight, that's why we use the nylon tubing.

MEP001

Reaction score
Nylon tubing will also get brittle if it's exposed to sunlight, unless it's black. I use all black Nylon tubing now.

Randy

Reaction score
Nylon tubing will also get brittle if it's exposed to sunlight, unless it's black. I use all black Nylon tubing now.
That's all we've ever used is black.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Good point on the nylon. Second wash I bought I used polytubing and it didn't last one Texas summer on an r panel roof without a trough.. I also run all mine in roof troughs and last a long time.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I use 1/4" for all air, foam brush, and tire cleaner product. I use 3/8" for foaming conditioner and presoak liquid, and spot free rinse. However, the only thing I feel like HAS to be 3/8" is spot free. Depending on your wash configuration you might could benefit from 3/8" if you have very long runs. I've got one wash that has an equipment room on the end and I think it's around 120' to the bay at the opposite end.