What's new

1 1/2 year Carwash Update

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Howdy Yall
It has been a while since I’ve been on here but I appreciate all the help you guys offered in my carwash update about 1 and a half years ago. I ended up replacing my Wash Wizard 1.0 with a Razor Edge and Hamilton Commander paystation and it was definitely worth the change. It doesn’t clean cars better but has fewer issues to deal with.

My self service gross revenue is up 4x from when I took over and automatic gross revenue is up 2x and both will probably continue to improve.
Thanks for the help!

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
That’s great.
Can you tell what your prices you’re charging for each wash.
Welcome to the car wash industry.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Absolutely,
I’m in Southwest Oklahoma. I have 4 packages on my Razor.
Basic- $8
Deluxe-$11
Premium wash Rain Repellant- $13
Ultimate wash Ceramic-$15
The $15 wash is 50% of sales and the others are pretty equal for the other 50%

My self service is $1 start for quarters for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. $3 minimum for credit cards. 30-35% of my sales SS sales are cards.

Strava

Reaction score
*edit Sry someone beat me to it*

Congrats, would you mind sharing what your iba prices were before the addition of the razor and Hamilton and after you instilled the new equipment?

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Sure thing,
My prices were

$5,$6,$7,$8

The $8 Wash was 90% of sales. I intentionally priced the low on the new 1 at $8 so the customers could get a wash for the same $8 if they chose to.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Do you offer any "buy-ups" on your IBA packages?

Is $1 start on the self-serves really feasible anymore? Seems awfully low.
I do have 2- buy ups. Ceramic and the RainX. Open to other ideas too.
The $1 start is because the other carwashes in my area are at $1 start and I decided to keep it to stay competitive.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would do even more buy up options. i'm sure other operators have better suggestions for this than me, but you could add extra presoak passes, extra rinse passes etc. if your machinery and cashier are capable, maybe four buy up options or even five would work. Get creative with it and give the customers more options to spend money with you. Some people will just get the max because that's the kind of consumer they are. Why leave any money on the table?

I think your pricing is pretty low so this will give you an opportunity to make more money. People like lots of choices like the people that go to Dunkin' Donuts and get 25 or 30 pumps of sweet syrup in their drink . May sound gross to you and me but there are definitely people that do that.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Dollar start is fine - it prevents people from racing the timer and have to shell out multiple dollars if less time is needed. Time is the bigger issue if you fell dollar start is too low. Reduce the time/dollar but also consider eliminating quarters in favor of gold dollar coins. With quarters and dollar start, customers are paying to drop coins rather than wash. DCs are 4X faster, take up less space and are the easier coin to handle.

Wheels

Reaction score
Howdy Yall
It has been a while since I’ve been on here but I appreciate all the help you guys offered in my carwash update about 1 and a half years ago. I ended up replacing my Wash Wizard 1.0 with a Razor Edge and Hamilton Commander paystation and it was definitely worth the change. It doesn’t clean cars better but has fewer issues to deal with.

My self service gross revenue is up 4x from when I took over and automatic gross revenue is up 2x and both will probably continue to improve.
Thanks for the help!
I have to ask, how did you increase the self-serve by 4x?

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Howdy Yall

Thanks for the help!
Congratualations! Any Before and After pictures to share?