What's new

You Snooze... You Lose.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Although most of the attention for harvesting rainwater is focused on the carwash business, innovative proactive detailers shouldn't ignore the great opportunity of taking advantage if the promotional benefits of "going green"!

Whether fixed or mobile, having signage that calls attention to your wash water being harvested rainwater will gain you attention... and offer a distinctive edge.

It shows that you're sensitive to the environment... as well as respecting water conservation, and that positive spin may gain you recognition as well as more business.

Don't miss this time-sensitive opportunity to distinguish yourselves!;)

Just a thought...
-Steve

MEP001

Reaction score
Is it possible the customers might view this as "going cheap" instead?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's my opinion that many detailers, mobile and fixed-location should first and foremost comply with the Federal Clean Waters Act. That is, they should all dispose of their wash water into the sanitary sewer systems and not into the storm drains or onto the ground. Many, many detailers fail to comply with these important regulations, so I think rainwater harvesting is a bit ambitious for many detail -only operations.

If you counted all the small car dealerships, mainly used cars, as detail shops (many detail their own cars), I bet 75% or more wash outdoors or have a rudimentary floor drain that flows into a storm drain of some type. This situation is not good and needs to be remedied on a larger scale and with more effort before rainwater harvesting becomes a reality for detail shops. I think it's a bigger priority for the industry as a whole.

It's not that they're mutually exclusive ideas. It's just that controlling pollution from non-carwash related car detailing and cleaning is far more important, I think, than harvesting rainwater.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Can't See The Forest... Fore The Trees?

Hey Waxman... Seems like I touched a nerve. Sit down and have a cold drink.

You've often asked how you can enhance your marketing. So, I suggested one, and you missed it.:rolleyes:

My point was to focus on the opportunity to enhance your business reputation and distinguish yourself as a responsible neighbor. It is a public relations opportunity!

Collecting rainwater is an easy task. Using it instead of drinking water for appearance-care related chores like washing or rinsing. Or give the landscaping a drink. Whatever.

It's not the size of the effort, but the attitude demonstrated towards being a good steward for the environment... and showing local government that you're doing your part to reduce wasting water. Your responsible conduct may sway others to follow in kind, and make sure the local media hears about it. Free promotion. Responsible Conduct. Good Community Spirit.

What's not to like?

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve

You're right. I think I got off on a tangent. Sorry.:eek: I will look take your suggestion and look into this harvesting of rainwater. Maybe it'd be just the thing to take some of the sting out of a rainy carwash day. My wash has a nice big roof. Do they pipe into the gutters? I'll look at it.