What's new

You get what you pay for.

mac

Reaction score
Was looking through ebay recently and saw an offer for a 3 bay self serve package being removed from a wash. One grand gets you the whole shebang. Well when you look at the pictures you can see why the guy would be happy to get that price. To those who think they are saving money by getting a home made equipment package, let me first state that you are saving money. One of the criteria I use in evaluating equipment is what would you get for it on the used market. he did save, but that may be why the stuff is being removed. I even met a guy that was shocked at what I quoted him for an inbay automatic. Said he could make one for one fourth the price. And he did. And it worked, sort of. About four months later, here is the wash on the evening news. Seems the machine had tipped over on a tourist's car, with his young son inside, broken out the windshield and proceeded to give the occupants a good hosing down. What really made it funny was he was denying responsibility, saying look at my sign, not responsible for damages. I spit beer clear across the room.

lag

Reaction score
saying look at my sign, not responsible for damages. I spit beer clear across the room.

I hope you do not drink beer from a mug like bigleo's ,That would be a lot of wasted beer.

Now on to your topic. We have been making a lot of our own equipment for years(mostly for self serve,but some for our autos also) ,and along the way saved a lot of cash. We do however tend to overbuild it.

Red Baron

Reaction score
DIY'ers can be annoying sometimes. :) I offered a car wash for sale to a farmer once and he said "I can build my own for half that!" Well, maybe, but you can't do it in this tiny town and expect to make money with me here too. He's the kind of guy who will spend 20 hours building a part in his shop so he doesn't have to pay a supplier $100 for it, and thinks he's saving money.