What's new

Winter Systems

washregal

Reaction score
Hello -

Just an inquiry - I am in the Northeastern U.S. Southeastern corner of Pennsylvania -

Is there a rule of thumb as to when to turn on anti freeze systems Weeps etc?

I am trying do to hold off as long as I can due to high water/ sewer costs ...

Just trying to gauge best timing every year.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy

Reaction score
I turned On and tested all my weep systems about a week ago. We are in for a 5 day cold snap starting tonight. I'm ready this year.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I watch the weather and long range forcast. I've turned mine on and tested already and had it turned on for a few days when when the temps were in the low 30's. But turned it back off again now trhat we're hitting 80 for the high and 55 for the low.

I have a switch on the output of my Weepmizer. So its as simple as flipping a switch and opening/closing a ball valve. Although I only live 2 blocks from our wash. Some leave the system on from now thru winter. But I can't see leaving the weep solenoid energized 24-7 all winter long if not needed. I turn mine off/on based on forecast and current temps. BTW, I'm in Southern Ohio so we see a wide range of weather. And it can change daily!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am not sure I follow the logic. For the most part the systems are temperature controlled. If you don't need them they are off and cost you nothing.

Having said that I do shut the weep supply around April 15 so if a valve fgails the water is off or if the power fails it stays off.

I am in Chicago and check systems 10/1. They are made operative ASAP after that. I used to do it 10/1 but we had a cold snap in early April 1 year and stuff froze and broke which was more costly to rpair than having it working.

I ad 1 Gallon of Anti freeze Shampoo to Shampoors 10/1 or so as well and more the next month. Also air freshener machines have a glycol mix added.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
For weep: My weepmizer stays on year round to keep the internal lithium battery charged. I see no need to keep the solenoid energized year round or during long periods after Oct. when the temps are well above freezing. Thats why I put a switch between the weepmizer and solenoid. Its easy to turn off and on. Since I live so close to my wash, I turn it off an on based on temperature forcast. This also allows me to test the system more often than activating it than letting it go for the whole winter. The method to my madness???? Maybe it will make that $150.00 Asco Valve last longer by not keeping it energized all winter long....Electricity cost is not the issue...

For FB and Tri-Foam....I'll switch over to Methenol once the temps start dipping below freezing during the day. Although I have a Washer Fluid Injection System installed for the Tri-Foam that I need to test and get operative. Might not need to use methenol once I get it going...

If I were like Randy and lived an hour from my wash, I'd likely have a different approach.

Etowah

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Freeze ups are expensive, even if measured only in time and frustration.
Therefore I clean, test, and turn on my weep system well in advance of needing it -- I did it about 10 days ago. (If you dont have a weep miser, I strongly recommend that you buy one. Now.)