What's new

Winter Special or No?

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My detail shop slows down annually between Jan. 15 and March 15. I'm not much in favor of discounting detail work, but am comtemplating a "Winter Special Detail Package". Does anyone have any thoughts about what to offer and perhaps some 'value added extras" so I can stimulate sales without giving too much away?

buda

Reaction score
Discounts

What I have found is that the customers who purchase detailing on a regular basis are not looking for discounts or deals. They purchase the service when they need it.

The reason business drops off is because these good customers do not need the service.

When it rains most people do not wash their cars. Even if you give it away free they do not come.

Focus on another marketing idea. People sell their cars all the time. They need the car to look good to sell it.

Why not get out your local newspaper and the local Auto Trader or get on Craig's List and contact first all the owners of Mercedes, BMW, Porche, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Ferarri, etc by phone or email and tell them you have a way for them to get more money for their vehicle.

How? Have it professionally detailed. Point out that auto dealers detail every used car they sell because it can result in $500 to $1000 more in sales price, if detailed.

When I had our detail centers in Portland we did this with success.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

MEP001

Reaction score
Some tunnels sell booklets of prepaid washes to help bring in revenue during the slow months.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Wake Up Your Merchandising!

No need to discount your basic services as an incentive, especially if they are priced low to begin. Instead, take a look at your merchandising. Most shops make the mistake of continuing a lackluster marketing approach simply because they follow the crowd. You should be thinking like a consumer, not a detailer.

Depending on the season, if winter is inclement, capitalize on it. The perception is that winters are harsh on exterior finishes, so use that awareness by offering a "Winter Protection Special" that combines some essential services with a few unique to the weather, such as a "Bottom Bath" that flushes and cleans the entire underside of the vehicle.

Add to that an extra coating of durable carnauba paste wax to guard against scrapes, scratches and chipping due to road debris either flying onto or residual deposits of gunk on the vehicle's finish.

If you have snow, capitalize on the snow melting, leaving all the grit contained in the snow residue being rubbed into the finish, causing scratches. Get the idea: you must tell a story about what you do, and why. If it makes sense, people who detail their cars will relate. You can upgrade them to compulsive users!

Often the package will list out higher than the normal service regimen, with additional margin that can be discounted due to the done-all-at-once special package. Winter Protection Special should also include often overlooked things like Professional-Strength Rain-X that makes keeping the windshield cleaner much easier, and eliminates the need for some drivers to use the wipers. Other stuff like splitting the Winter protection Package into 2 parts: Exterior Protection and Interior Protection works very well... and boosts package revenues.

(cont.)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
I Love Niches!

I've been advising using this marketing tact for decades with huge success. If done right, you can make your clientele rush to have the Special done, and often repeat the process during a harsh season.

In fact, a great deal of my phenomenal success in marketing appearance-care services is based on niche merchandising. Consumers love it... because it's easy to understand and makes sense. As well, I almost never discount services, only packages... because discounting can be a slippery slope that could erode price integrity.

My book identifies many profitable niches that are well worth farming. If you have an ozone machine, packaging that technology gives you over 2 dozen target groups that will relate and respond to your niche solutions.

Shift your empasis from broad brush detailing stuff that everybody uses... and abuses. Instead, target niches. They're awesome!

Happy & Prosperous New Year To ALL

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great Ideas!

Smokun

I like these ideas very much. That's what I was actually developing; a Winter Protection Package. Rain-X Original, underbody bath, high-quality wax job.

And the best thing is I can implement these ideas immediately, using signs at my car wash, newspaper, waiting room signs, even my answering machine.

Perhaps I can even add some value by checking tire pressure and wiper blade integrity; 2 things that need more attention in Winter time.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Only Limited By Your Own Imagination

Like my initial post inferred, you need to think outside the box... and get away from the typical detail shop format. Instead, you must DISTINGUISH YOURSELF!

Instead of simply a good "wax job", I said add an EXTRA LAYER OF PROTECTION. It takes very little extra time or product... but it has a powerful impact on the customer's perception of WINTER PROTECTION against the elements. In my previous post, I suggested using original Rain-X, the product. But I do not recommend using the Rain-X name in your marketing. Why promote them... when you should be the nameplate? Use their product, but use your identity. Unless there is a powerful value in platforming anyone else's name, avoid using it. Why? Because your competition can make the same claims and show the package to support their claim ? thus diluting your distinction.

Learn how to PACKAGE YOURSELF!

And if you're looking for more stuff, check and add windshield washer solution. And lubricate all the door hinges to ensure easier use. The message here is to also impact your image with subliminal reinforcement. Same is true with an upscale signature fragrance that is only available from you.

The impact of having the vehicle be conspicuously better... than it did when the customer gave it to you.

A great part of retailing is very carefully implemented "theater".

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Began promoting this idea last Friday. Will post with results.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Special Update

Got 3 calls on this yesterday and today and made 2 appointments. So far so good. Time to put up a few flyers at the car wash as well as newspaper ads.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update: This 'Winter Exterior Special' has ended. It was a success! I will offer it again next year.

I'm now planning an interior special geared toward refreshing interiors trashed by the tons of sand and salt that were spread on the roads and tracked into interior surfaces.