What's new

Which would increase profit

MEP001

Reaction score
So how do you figure replacing the machine is going to make you more money? You'll have to spend the money for the new machine and spend money to market it, unless you plan on using nothing but word of mouth to let people know there's been an improvement.

I see no logic in the statement "I have been reading that IBA's tend to be the money makers at most car washes so based off that logic I could increase profits with a new friction IBA."

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a detail shop in a separate building at my wash and so I on site ALOT.

The free towel dry station is a value added benefit that is self service and can be kept up with an hour or so daily. People do steal the towels, which costs $$, but many many customers use it and I do still sell towels in my Shurvend.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
How many bays of self service do you have? Most estimates I have seen is that your IBA should do three to four times the average of your self service bays. If you are in that range you may not be doing that badly. If it is way below a change might be in order.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Giving your customers a choice between friction and touchfree seems like a great idea and many big budget washes I have seen offer both.

Friction works. It's how I get detail shop prep washes done. (Manually in SS).

Operating costs are very reasonable from what I have seen and heard.

I just am scared of 3 things with friction: damage claims, personal injury and downtime.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
In advising people new to the industry, I always make it a point to reinforce the notion that the make and model of a machine does not make a market, people do.

So, if the goal is to increase the profitability of your self-service wash, you should test your decisions against three questions.

Will the proposed change increase the amount of money coming into the business (throughput), reduce the amount of money that cannot be used (investment) or reduce the amount of money going out of the business (expenses)?

A decision that results in more money coming in, less investment or less money going out will generally be a good decision for your business.

In a subsequent thread, you also mentioned a goal of defending your turf from the number of express exterior washes that are popping up.

Experience has shown this is a legitimate concern for many self-service owners, especially those with in-bay automatic car wash systems.

For the time being, forget DIY versus DIFM and compare the value propositions.

Express Exterior

Convenience – fast process speed, typically 3 to 4 minutes, and virtually no waiting in line
Image – attended by people in uniforms, usually a manager on site
Value – low price for base wash, high quality clean/shine/dry, free use of vacuums

Self-Service – In-Bay Automatic

Convenience – typically slow, about 5 minutes, and waiting time can be exceedingly long during busy periods
Image – usually unattended or part-time housekeeper
Value – throughput capacity limits ability to price low, acceptable clean/shine/dry, pay to use vacuums

When you consider that most express washes offer an array of value-added services including undercarriage rust inhibitor, total body protection and tire shine, many use nationally branded products, most spend over $12,000 a year on advertising and virtually all offer customers loyalty rewards and re-wash policy, you end up with a formidable competitor regardless of how a market may be segmented.

Consequently, you may want to consider how your propose decision(s) will bring your value proposition for automatic carwash more in line with express.

Etowah