What's new

Which automatic touch wash is the safest for paint?

bcwang

Reaction score
I think generally consumers think car washes that touch your car will cause scratches or at the minimum, swirls. However, it seems people in the car wash industry believe car washes can clean very safely without swirling your paint.

I believe the reality must be in between, or is more complicated than "they scratch" or "they don't". There are so many kinds of machines, and materials, that I'm sure some are safer for paint than others. I know in the past I have sent a car through an automatic and ended up with swirls in the same direction as the spinning brushes, so I definitely will not state "automatics do not swirl paint" as I have seen first hand where it did.

So what exactly are the "good" and "safe" automatics that will not swirl up paint the slightest bit? I've heard terms like "soft wash", or "foambrite", things that look like they are advertising specific safe wash materials. Other washes won't say anything, so then you wonder if what they use will scratch your paint or not.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
Mothers...
Good one.

Even in the day of the plastic/nylon brushes, friction rollovers were pretty safe. Swirls and scratches are caused by dirt and debris, not by the material itself. There are too many factors to list which machines do less damage and why, and it can vary between two identical machines or even day-to-day on the same one.

bcwang

Reaction score
Good one.

Even in the day of the plastic/nylon brushes, friction rollovers were pretty safe. Swirls and scratches are caused by dirt and debris, not by the material itself. There are too many factors to list which machines do less damage and why, and it can vary between two identical machines or even day-to-day on the same one.
Sounds like there isn't much of a guarantee that friction machines won't scratch. Do the hybrid machines really help in this regard?

MEP001

Reaction score
bcwang said:
Sounds like there isn't much of a guarantee that friction machines won't scratch.
There is no guarantee that it won't. If you're worried, use touch-free or a self-serve with hogs hair brushes and follow the instructions as to cleaning the brush and using high-pressure to remove grit from the finish first.
bcwang said:
Do the hybrid machines really help in this regard?
I'm not very familiar with them, but it should in some cases because they have a high pressure pass. If that's done before the friction, there won't be as much dirt on your car to cause scratches. Even that won't help if you come in right after a muddy truck used it.

ruggerwash

Reaction score
Also the material of the brushes is brought into light. The newer neotex material is less likely to do harm as they are lighter (they do not absorb water, which means no extra weight), softer (almost like foam-pieces will break off if they grab something), and carry less debris- which is what really scratches the cars. Also you want to make sure you are properly lubricating as you wash with brushes. Run a wet down cycle at the beginning of the day, and anytime when there hasn't been a car for a while. Hope this helps.

TheDoc

Reaction score
BC,

Why the question? Anything can scratch a vehicle. The act of driving a vehicle causes more surface damage than many other factors.
The truth lies in what type of material, type(s) of chemicals used and quantity and overall maintenance.
If you're using/running a wash that uses little to know soap with a combination of foam and cloth, you may scratch a vehicle.
The same wash using more soap (lubricity) can effectively wash a vehicle in a safer manner.
On the flip side, you're using/running a brand new wash with the latest and greatest of equipment and chemicals and you're wraps are set too fast with too much tension, you may scratch a vehicle.

There is no perfect wash if you don't make it that way! Good products, well maintained equipment, an understanding of "how it works" and you'll provide the safest wash possible everytime.

BTW, sponge washing a car at home can be one of the worst ways to wash a car, then they come to you, buy the "el cheapo" wash and say the wash did it!

I've always been proud and smart enough to walk them right up to the exit end and show other vehicles coming out with no damage or shut the tunnel down and walk them in to "feel" the material and educate them.

May be B.S. to some, but I feel better!

Doc