What's new

Wheel scrubber not scrubbing

mac

Reaction score
Jimbeaux, the repair with epoxy is pretty straightforward. I actually had an article in PC&D on this in the July 1993 issue showing it. You first need a high grade epoxy. I used to use a product from Belzona that is sold through direct salesmen. Make sure the epoxy has not been sitting on a shelf for over a year. First take the items apart and clean the heck out of them. Roughen up the areas that need filling. If one of the parts is not worn, use a release agent, wax or light coat of grease on it. Then simply apply the material and reassemble. Wait the entire time for the epoxy to cure. It's that simple.

randy64

Reaction score
I wish my problem was that simple with my wheel scrubber I currently have it at a shop that is a service center for electra-gear gearboxes so hopefully they can fix it if they can't I an going to bring in the triangle the brush bolts onto then goes on the shaft of the gearbox as a template and have them drill two holes through the shaft and then insert 2 grade 8 bolts with nylon nuts to hold in place.
Steve you should use stainless bolts and if you use locktight on the threads you shouldn't need to drill all the way through the shaft.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and bought a gearbox at Ryko and the old gearbox is still at the repair shop, I don't like the fact that all that is holding the brush mount on the shaft is 6 square bolts that tighten down on the (2) keystock and (4) shaft what if that wheel scrubber came off and it went to do a wheel scrub it would do so much damage!, this way if the bolts are all the way through the wheel scrubber mount and gearbox shaft that risk is no longer there. If all goes well at the repair shop and this works I will take this idea over to Ryko and show the engineers and see if I could fill out a CAR. (Corrective Action Report)

mac

Reaction score
Diamondwash, let us know if sending a recommendation to Ryko does anything. This is not to single out Ryko, most all of the manufacturers I have dealt with simply ignore the suggestions from the field. Even when I worked at the Ryko factory, none of the suggestions I or the other techs gave were used.

randy64

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and bought a gearbox at Ryko and the old gearbox is still at the repair shop, I don't like the fact that all that is holding the brush mount on the shaft is 6 square bolts that tighten down on the (2) keystock and (4) shaft what if that wheel scrubber came off and it went to do a wheel scrub it would do so much damage!, this way if the bolts are all the way through the wheel scrubber mount and gearbox shaft that risk is no longer there. If all goes well at the repair shop and this works I will take this idea over to Ryko and show the engineers and see if I could fill out a CAR. (Corrective Action Report)
Steve, you can get ahold of Ray and tell him you want him to write a customer concern CAR. That gives engineering 7 days to reply. However, I know, at least last year, they were behind in answering them.
I'm sure your answer will go something like...We've been mounting them this way for years and havn't had any problems or complaints. Besides, checking the tightness of those bolts in on the Preventitive maintenance inspection checklist...So I guess it won't hurt to try. Also I can't remember ever seeing one of those mounts fall off, but your write it would do some damage. you also need to watch the brush itself, where the bolts go though I have seen those break out.

Last edited:

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Thanks, Mac

Mac, I appreciate your explanation for repairing a bad keyway slot, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Been off-line for several days. JimBeaux