What's new

What tip do you use for tire/wheel cleaner.

APW

Reaction score
My chemical rep had me with a black tip. Is this normal or is he wanting to sell me lots of tire cleaner? What color tip do yall use?

MEP001

Reaction score
Tip size depends on the product. They all have different dilution ratios.

I rarely use recommended ratios. I go by desired results.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I don't really remember what hydrominder is standard? But if you are using a 511 and a black tip (6:1). I will go out on a limb and say yes it's wrong. I would check the bucket for the dilution ratio or call someone.

A local rep set some wax up for a bank here and it was criminal how fast it got used up. But the rep is not responsible you are going to have to make sure it's correct.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/Images/HS_HydroMinder_Model_511.pdf

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I use wheel cleaner with beige tip, which is not too far off. I've seen some tire cleaner products advertise usage at 48:1, but none that clean well. Brightly covered green foam is cheap. Tire/wheel cleaner that actually works is not.

MEP001

Reaction score
The stuff I run recommends 64:1, but it doesn't really work at that. I'm mixing it with a powder that makes it cut through brake dust really well, and even like that I figure I'm using it at about 28:1.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
The stuff I run recommends 64:1, but it doesn't really work at that. I'm mixing it with a powder that makes it cut through brake dust really well, and even like that I figure I'm using it at about 28:1.
And with a bit of compressed air to make it foamy/foamier???

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, without air to foam it, the tire cleaner would be too expensive to run like that.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a builder to most tire cleaners and cut the dilution dramatically. I'm assuming the powder MEP refers to has some sodium metasillicate or sodium hydroxide in it that gives the TC some muscle. I had one of the owners of a large carwash chain tell me one of the most effective tire cleaners they tried out was a mixture of sodium hydroxide and dawn dishwashing detergent. But "one drum" products usually require a pretty strong solution out of the original container.

Another thing is a lot of chemical mfgs are concerned with SS products being a bit too caustic/alkaline. It's safer to use stronger products that work well in a more controlled environment in a tunnel or IBA.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, you can add a builder to most tire cleaners and cut the dilution dramatically. I'm assuming the powder MEP refers to has some sodium metasillicate or sodium hydroxide in it that gives the TC some muscle.
It's actually a powdered tire cleaner from the same maker that I mix with water and the liquid tire cleaner, but the point was that even with strengthening the liquid with another product, the end use is still well well above the "recommended" dilution.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You need to check the recommended dilution ratio. Most tire cleaners should be used at the lowest recommended ratio but you might have to play around with it to see what works best for you. Be careful when using the really cheap tire cleaners. They usually have a lot of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (caustic soda) and can cause problems with damaging rims especially in warm weather.

APW

Reaction score
It's Warsaw 555 tire cleaner. It says on their website dillutions will range from 8:1 to 17:1