What's new

What if foamy brush automatically turned on

soapy

Reaction score
I think it might be a good idea to have the foamy brush turn itself on whenever it was removed from its holder during a wash cycle. It would shut other functions off until it was put back into its holder and take priority. It would eliminate the people who come in 2s with one using a dry brush while the other sprays or the single person who holds both in their hands. It would extend the brush life by at least double IMO and lead to longer bay use time. Thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've wanted to do that for years. It might be easy to do with some industrial-grade switch mounted under the hanger and just hinge that on the wall. There will be people who will try and defeat it, but I'm sure it would stop a lot of them.

OurTown

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. I have lately been brainstorming on another idea which is to have the handle locked to the wall when the brush is not turned on. It is not as good of an idea as yours and there is no perfect solution. Someone needs to come up with a better Wobble Head. One that is lightweight and reliable.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Locked to the wall - someone would just yank it, break it or bend it. Too much leverage with the handle and hose.

Switch - great idea, would have to hold up to the overspray. Would take some customer training, or leave the function on the box and make an AND statement.

functionBrush AND switchBrush = ON
elseif functionHPSpray AND switchBrush = print “quit cheatin’ ya fool!”

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
You could route the 24v from the timer through the switch on the foam brush before it feeds the selection switch in the meter box. If there is time on the meter and the foam brush is off the hook, no other bay functions will work till the foam brush is returned. Also, with this set up you would not need a foam brush position on the switch. That would free up a function for something new. downside, if someone does not properly replace the brush or steals it, the bay is down unless the switch is bypassed. Could do something similar with tri foam, would keep it from spitting as people switch through that position. Now lets find a way to use a timer to open trash can lids...

MEP001

Reaction score
It will also stop people from leaving the brush on the floor - I've been having a bad problem with that lately.

I've thought about a latch to keep them from taking down the brush without it being selected, but it won't take people long to figure out they can just select the brush, take it down, then switch to high pressure. I've wanted to add a foaming tire brush, but I wouldn't do it unless it couldn't be abused. My thought has been to use a coily hose with a cable running through the middle, and some sort of auto-rewind system with a latch that stays engaged with a solenoid until they select it. Then they can pull it down and use it, and when time runs out or if they select something else, the brush will recoil and store itself.

OurTown

Reaction score
There are issues with every solution but here is another idea. If the brush is not on the hooks and the foam brush is not on then it would flash a light and have an irritating buzzer. The light could be near the foam brush holder to direct attention there and a simple obvious large sign that states the issue. The light could start right away and after say 15 seconds then the buzzer starts. After a few minutes of the brush not being returned it could time out the buzzer but the flashing light would stay on to alert the next customer to return it. It would be nice if a message could be displayed on a Dixmor timer too stating the issue. It won't fix every situation but like the other ideas it might help.

Randy

Reaction score
How much would you guys be willing to spending a on Foam Brush Lock/unlock system or a light/buzzer system?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
How much would you guys be willing to spending a on Foam Brush Lock/unlock system or a light/buzzer system?
idk, but the wobblehead brushes are close to a hundred bucks each. I agree they are not perfect, but they help - worth it at my wash.

I agree there would be a bunch of issues to iron out, but I like this train of thought.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I like the idea of killing all other bay functions when the brush is off the hook/switch. Take it a rep further to incorporate the flashing light/buzzer...when you have the brush off the hook and the select another function, then activate the light/buzzer with a sign that says to replace it or turn the function to foamy brush.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
........................... here is another idea. If the brush is not on the hooks and the foam brush is not on then it would flash a light and have an irritating buzzer. ...........................
How about an irritating electrical charge on the handle if they touch it without inserting $ and choosing selection ---- LEGAL DISCLAIMER - Just Kidding.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
idk, but the wobblehead brushes are close to a hundred bucks each. I agree they are not perfect, but they help - worth it at my wash.
Me 2. Does't stop 2 handed washing but reduces using as a broom to sweep out truck beds. Have been having some issues with end cracking on newer models - anyone else?

MEP001

Reaction score
My biggest concern with people abusing the brush is the brush wear. I'd rather replace the $25 brushes once a year than $100 Wobbleheads every two years or less.
How about an irritating electrical charge on the handle if they touch it without inserting $ and choosing selection
Everyone has a different sensitivity to low-level electric shock. That said, I'd probably enjoy watching someone on camera as I turn up the voltage to the brush wand until it's too much for them to bear.

What about having something thick and syrupy flow when they're double-teaming or dry-brushing? Something water soluble but still really tough to just rinse off? Probably a bad idea but it would also be fun to watch.