What's new

What do you guys do about credit card chargebacks?

slash007

Reaction score
After almost a year having Cryptopay, I finally had my first chargeback. Bank sends a chargeback letter stating that the card used was stolen. It was a $17 charge and I responded letting them know that the card was present and it was an unattended wash, but yesterday I got a chargeback letter saying that since there is no signed slip then I can't prove cardholder participation. Do I have any options? So basically every single customer could dispute the cc charges and I would lose every time? I deal with cc processors over chargebacks all the time and the deck is stacked against the merchant, but this is my first time having the issue at the car wash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It's not worth my time to dispute the occasional chargeback. I don't worry about them and throw the notice in the trash. Besides, most of my chargebacks were when I was on Bluepay, and probably were legit.....

washnvac

Reaction score
I have had this happen a couple of times. I get the exact date and time, and tell them I will get the video, and report to the police the info for a stolen c/c. In every case, customer suddenly remembers they were there using the service. Go figure??

slash007

Reaction score
After reading your post, I decided to dig more. I called the guy and asked about it and he admits to using the car wash and says that he told his bank that he did. He says some girl stole his cc and used it all around town including at some car washes, but he did use my ss wash. He obviously did tell the bank that the charges at my wash were invalid or he they would not have charged it back. I will now fight it and see what happens.

Randy

Reaction score
How much money are will talking about?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I get one or two a month from Gas "Pay at the Pump" I take it in the teeth. This BS . We need legislation. The CC Companies could stop this in a heartbeat by requiring a PIN. The Technology and hardware is in Place for Debit Cards.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I get one or two a month from Gas "Pay at the Pump" I take it in the teeth. This BS . We need legislation. The CC Companies could stop this in a heartbeat by requiring a PIN. The Technology and hardware is in Place for Debit Cards.
The lobbying groups for banks and credit card companies will always win. Look at what just happened with the appeal of the debit card transaction fees.

I am also pretty sure you can dispute your debit card transactions. The disputer can not submit the claim by phone which makes it harder or more annoying to steal stuff. :)

What the argument really should be is why the credit card companies push all the cost to the businesses? When the credit card companies make all the money off the use of credit cards.

slash007

Reaction score
The lobbying groups for banks and credit card companies will always win. Look at what just happened with the appeal of the debit card transaction fees.

I am also pretty sure you can dispute your debit card transactions. The disputer can not submit the claim by phone which makes it harder or more annoying to steal stuff. :)

What the argument really should be is why the credit card companies push all the cost to the businesses? When the credit card companies make all the money off the use of credit cards.

The worse part isn't even the chargeback, it's the "retrieval fee" that the processors charge. I get charged $30 just for the dispute, even if I win!

bigleo48

Reaction score
The problem has been created by the banks and CC companies. Their credit card system with mag strips is outdated and flawed and we pay for it. Up here in Canada we don't experience this as much because we all now use chips and 4 digit codes that need to be entered at the terminals (including gas pumps and the like). So its rare, but has happened a couple of times. Even if I can tell them what the plate number is, what the person looked like, the car make color and model, they want a signature (which of course is not possible). They also told me they don't allow video as evidence!?!?!

slash007

Reaction score
The problem has been created by the banks and CC companies. Their credit card system with mag strips is outdated and flawed and we pay for it. Up here in Canada we don't experience this as much because we all now use chips and 4 digit codes that need to be entered at the terminals (including gas pumps and the like). So its rare, but has happened a couple of times. Even if I can tell them what the plate number is, what the person looked like, the car make color and model, they want a signature (which of course is not possible). They also told me they don't allow video as evidence!?!?!
Same here, when I told them that I have video, they said it was irrelevant. Only a signature would help!