What's new

Web site cost

washnvac

Reaction score
Well, I guess I am finally going to have to bring my company into the 21st century.

Without your actual specifics, can anyone give me a ballpark price on what website construction should cost? It won't be anything too elaborate-- it will feature my 4 sites with pictures, give instructions on how to use a s/s wash and benefits, a 2 minute video of how to go through the automatic car wash (without running into anything) , a fundraising page, an area to order discounted tokens and wash buck coupons online, a place to sign up for a birthday club, and an e-mail sign up for monthly specials.

These are the items I have seen on most c/w sites, and I just want some idea of what I need to be prepared for before I go out and shop it. I am hoping $3-5k will cover what I want to have.

Thanks.

mac

Reaction score
You'll probably hear from Bill, as he works with a company that does that in that range. Being basically cheap, I got mine up for under $500. However you go, make sure that YOU own the site and they show you how to make changes to it.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Wash-n-Vac

I've had a site for a few years now and done it myself. Website boiler $50, Website domain $25/yr, Website hosting $5/month. So not real expensive if you can do it yourself. If what you want is real basic, you can usually get some students from the college to do one as a project.

Having said all this, I'm not sure you need one anymore. Using Google/Bing/Yahoo, you can map your business and provide pictures, videos and other info for free (google even offers you the ability to post a coupon). Also, social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter can be even better mediums at helping customers and communicating your message. They are also free.

Big

MEP001

Reaction score
GoDaddy.com charges $15 for two years, including hosting the site. You can build it and make changes yourself (Building a basic site is easy) or you can have someone else do it.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I've done all mine for free. Check out NING, they offer some great options.

Big - I don't know what your dogs name is, but I called him Oscar when I referenced him in my blog. Hope you don't mind, I also linked back to your video too. Check it out if you want: http://bubblesgalore.wordpress.com/

bigleo48

Reaction score
Big - I don't know what your dogs name is, but I called him Oscar when I referenced him in my blog. Hope you don't mind, I also linked back to your video too. Check it out if you want: http://bubblesgalore.wordpress.com/
Cool! Hi name is Wooster (as in the BBC TV show Wooster and Jeeves). He's a really good dog (as you can see in the video)!

Cheers...Big

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Everyone gave you good info. My thought is that if your website looks like a couple of drunk kids did it, it reflects poorly on your operations. For a couple hundred, my company in Europe will make a very professional small site. Hosting is about $100 a year. The problem with the Go-Daddys of the hosting is that if you have a problem you may or may not get the needed help. Sometimes with the cheap domain ($5) is that you really don't own the name, and if you ever want to move, you must pay to get your name.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Starting up a website is like starting up a carwash; it is not rocket science but it is easy to get it wrong.

Your website is a virtual store. If design reflects a cheap price, the appearance and/or lack of functionality may reflect badly on your brick and mortar store.

Consequently, strive for a "professional" quality image and look.

If you have the time and talent, designing and creating a website yourself will help save some cash.

If you don't, pay a professional. After all, would you be willing to bet the success of your business without having a highway sign or on a highway sign where you did the art work and lettering?

If you do the research, you will find the cost for a professional to design and build a website for a typical "mom & pop" business is around $500 to $1,200. The final cost will vary depending on the number of features and technical support the owner selects.

The return on investment will depend mainly on how well the website is marketed and promoted and not on how much it cost to build.

bigleo48

Reaction score
TO add to what has been mentioned, getting a website up and running is one thing, getting web traffic to it is entirely different matter, but crucial to the success of your site (if people can't find it, there's no point having it).

To me this is where professionals can help. They can make a website look good and function properly, but also get it noticed.

Big