What's new

wax - rinse - cda?

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi guys
Unfortunately with my machine I can't adjust the passes myself - the technician has to do this. He is about to come in a few weeks. At present I am not sure what would give me the best results. I've got 3 washes. I am thinking of doing this:
HP Rinse to back
pre-soak to front
brushwash to back and front
wax (Lustrashild) to back
RO rinse to front
drying to back and front

HP Rinse to back
pre-soak to front
CDA to back
RO rinse to front
drying to back and front

HP Rinse to back
nothing to front
CDA to back
RO rinse to front

Someone told me with wash 1 the wax should be after the RO??? So the question is CDA and wax before or after the RO? Is everything in the right order? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Cheers Justclean

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're planning a wash with the last two passes a wax and dry, you might as well skip the RO unless you're injecting the wax into the RO pass. Even then, I doubt you'll get good results.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I need to rephase my previos answer, RO should be the last pass before the dry. Also If you are using an alkaline presoak, I would do the HP pass after the pre soak and include dwell time before the HP pass.

JustClean

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Last rinse before drying is pure RO. I wonder why that chemical guy wants his stuff put on last...
I don't know about other machines but with mine it uses RO water as a carrier for the chemicals. So whatever wax, shampoo or CDA I am using it is getting mixed with RO water. Maybe that's the reason why the drying result isn't that great.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
It sounds like the wax is the problem. Are you using the Lustra shield surface sealant? I am not impressed with that product. Their regular wax seems to bead up well, maybe you just need to put more on? Using RO to apply the chemicals should benefit the chemicals ability to bead water.

JustClean

Reaction score
It sounds like the wax is the problem. Are you using the Lustra shield surface sealant? I am not impressed with that product. Their regular wax seems to bead up well, maybe you just need to put more on? Using RO to apply the chemicals should benefit the chemicals ability to bead water.
The problem is that the machine is not set up right. RO water before strong diluted CDA etc. In that case you are right: too much diluted CDA and wax. That's about to change soon. Therefor my previous question. Thanks to you and all.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
what machine do you have, that requires the tech to change wash packages?

mac

Reaction score
Hope that anyone considering a machine purchase will take this into account. To me it's just plain stupid that a manufacturer makes you hire someone to do this. Having the ability to configure your machine and test it at will is a big help. When you are paying someone in the 60 to 90 dollar range, you just don't want the guy to spend all day trying different configurations.

soapyjim

Reaction score
JustClean
Let me begin by saying "I don't know what CDA is." If it is drying agent, I wonder why you are using it on wash #3 when you are not drying the car.
You should not be wetting the vehicle before applying the presoak, all that does is diluted the product. Proper application would be Presoak, brush, HP rinse, then wax, R/O and dry. Wax should go on the clean vehicle, not over the dirt etc.
Are you really in wash #3 not using any presoak or lubrication for the brushes?

Reaction score
Mark VII has a one day training class for the SoftWash K100 controller. I have taken this class and it teaches you all of the ins and outs of the controller. You can easily do all of the machine programming and wash menu changes yourself after taking this class.

JustClean

Reaction score
JustClean
Let me begin by saying "I don't know what CDA is." If it is drying agent, I wonder why you are using it on wash #3 when you are not drying the car.
You should not be wetting the vehicle before applying the presoak, all that does is diluted the product. Proper application would be Presoak, brush, HP rinse, then wax, R/O and dry. Wax should go on the clean vehicle, not over the dirt etc.
Are you really in wash #3 not using any presoak or lubrication for the brushes?
Yep, drying agent. I can only guess that it may dry better while the customer drives home.....anyway, I try to figure out how to get the best result before the technician comes up to set it up. It seems that everyone and every technician has different ideas of how to achieve it. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that shampoo will be dispensed during the brush wash).

JustClean

Reaction score
Mark VII has a one day training class for the SoftWash K100 controller. I have taken this class and it teaches you all of the ins and outs of the controller. You can easily do all of the machine programming and wash menu changes yourself after taking this class.
I am not sure but I think I have a different controller. Mine is called CP1. Anyway end of the year I will be in Germany. I will try to get some training then and hopefully I can get my own user account to change settings.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Yep, drying agent. I can only guess that it may dry better while the customer drives home.....anyway, I try to figure out how to get the best result before the technician comes up to set it up. It seems that everyone and every technician has different ideas of how to achieve it. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that shampoo will be dispensed during the brush wash).
If you are putting soap on for the brushes, you will want to presoak, then high pressure and then brushes. Presoak is not a lubricant for brushes and needs to be rinsed off with high pressure.
Ryko used to use a drying agent 20 years ago (it was called "Rinse Off"). It was the only product that was flamable and most likley contained alcohol. You used very little per wash to the point where a 5 gallon bucket would last at least 3 years no matter how many vehicles you washed! If you used too much, it would leave black spots on the car. I would eliminate the drying agent and just rinse with RO. If they want it dry, let them upgrade.

JustClean

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
It all comes down to being able to change settings myself whenever I want to. I spoke to Washtec in Germany last night and explained that I want to do my own adjustments. Their general opinion is that if the machine is setup right there is no need to fiddle around but they will look into this and will get back to me. So we will see...

mac

Reaction score
JustClean, the attitude of manufacturers like this always amazes me. Think about it for a minute. What if you bought a computer, car, boat, table saw, or any other consumer device, and the manufacturer said not to play with it. If you look at the history of machines since the industrial revolution, advancements in the original design came mostly from operators who worked with them every day. The tinkering of race car drivers is directly responsible for many of the advancements that have been incorporated into regular production. Their(Washtec) opinion is just laughable, and shortsighted.