What's new

Water Usage to Volume Formula?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I found some of the guidance in the following documents useful in developing my own method to do this. You can obtain a copy of it in PDF format by searching the www.

Market Segment Specialization Program, Carwash Industry, Traning 3147-117, TPDS No. 853821L, Appendix B Indirect Method - Water Consumption Analysis Format and Appendix C Indirect Method - Soap/Chemical Consumption Analysis Format. This document is produced by the Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service.

The ICA also has some pertinent information that you may find useful for developing a water consumption - sale volume model. You could try searching for these on the www and/or try looking on www.carwash.org

1) ICA Self-Service Carwash Saves Water brochure. I got my copy from Townco Equipment out of Austell, Ga.
2) Report on Water Conservation in the Professional Carwash Industry by Chris Brown, published by ICA, March 2000

Hope this helps.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
My understanding is that the IRS gave up using their data to audit operators. IMO there are just too many variables, to compare apples to apples. I'm not even sure that you could compare the wash's yearly usage to make any intelligent decision.

If you could get two different washes that were the same config. and you had the real revenue numbers from one of them, that might give you some idea.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Bill,

I don't know about the IRS. However, I have been able to gleen some useful things from the literature.

I believe I do a pretty good job of estimating sales volumes using water consumption. Of course, it took several of collecting data and refining my models to do so. Are the results accurate? By no means. However, the model does produce "reasonable" estimates.

You and I know that nobody has a crystal ball for this kind of stuff. After all, benchmarks suggest capture rate of 0.0025 to 0.015. What good is that without developing an estimator or searching for some way to narrow the interval?

If we just hunched our shoulders, we wouldn't learn anything.

Keep the faith.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
No doubt Robert. You use what you have and experience makes you smarter.

When I ran a check cashing business for 10 years, I developed a 6th sense, where I could spot a bad check before I ever asked a question. When you know your job, you can do that.

I'm sure that by now you can walk the lot and tell a lot of valuable info.