What's new

Water Softners

washregal

Reaction score
I am having issues with my softners.. Mostly tanks leaking..

Whenever I see water on my floors I start to tremble.. Knowing I get hit with consumption as well as sewage costs.

Just wondering if anyone has invested in an electronic water softner system.

If these truly do work - to me it seems it would make sense.

No Salt - and would give me much more space in my equipment rooms.

Please give me some feedback on this..

MEP001

Reaction score
They're suited for certain applications, but they don't actually soften (read: remove calcium from) the water. It won't help with spots or scale in lines, especially boilers.

Check your water pressure - your city pressure may be exceeding the tanks' specs. A reduced pressure zone backflow preventer would solve that.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
A backflow preventer can also be the cause of your leaks - If there is not adequate expansion in the system, pressure can build up, and softener tank always seem to be the weak point (Or RO filter housings) - We always recommend to our customers that they install a pressure expansion tank on their hot water system, to eliminate water hammer and pressure build up.

Basically water expands slightly when heated. if you fill your entire system with cold water at 60 PSI, then turn on the water heater the water in the heater will expand and cause pressure build up. The expansion tank gives this water a place to go, because the backflow preventer keeps the added pressure from going back towards the town supply. It is not a lot of expansion, but it's enough to cause problems

bigleo48

Reaction score
I had similar problem and replaced the brine tank float assembly. $100 and fixed.