What's new

Water quality

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
I have 1 small technical question, i would like to get a consensus on.

The water at a newly aquired site has a hardness in the range of 2 to 3 gpg and a tds in the range of 68 to 83. Those are the widest range of numbers i have seen since testing the water weekly since the beginning of May. Usually the tds measures on the upper end of that, with most readings being 77-81.

Would you say i would use a certain percentage more soap in the iba having to "clean the water" or are my readings so low that the difference would be negligible, based on what i know that 2 to 3 gpg is still classified as soft water.

I have a simple way that i can put a softener in for just the Soaps, TCF, Clear Coat, & Graphene. It would actually be rather easy and I may do it anyways, but was wondering if it would even be necessary.

Thought?

PEI

Reaction score
The honest answer is that it depends on your soaps. Some soaps can easily handle some water hardness with no perceived drop off in cleaning and therefore no reason to increase your soap usage. Others are highly sensitive to hardness and would require you to waste soap cleaning the water. You should talk with your soap distributor. Keep in mind that the additional cost in soap may not be as much as the additional water, sewer, salt, and maintenance cost generally associated with a softener.

Some examples would be, if I'm using JBS products which can usually handle 5 gpg then a softener would be a waste of resources. If I were using Lustra products which can usually handle 3 gpg then a softener may be a waste of resources. If I were using Autolux products that need 0 gpg then the softener would probably make sense unless water and sewer costs are high enough.