What's new

Water and sewer rates ss bays

packerscw

Reaction score
What is your current water and sewer rates in your area? Trying to see if this ridiculous increase is nation wide or just in a centralized area?

soapy

Reaction score
What are your water and sewer rates? I have a wash in one town that recently had an increase. The town has decided to use a new method of calculating sewer rates based off a formula they found published somewhere.
They say that the average carwash bay uses 3.1 times as much water as a typical household. National averages for monthly water use by a house is a little over 10,000 gallons each. This city does not water meter households but does all commercial business. They do not break it out by SS bay, automatic bay or other means just 3.1 times the number of bays. I have 3 SS bays and 2 auto bays so my sewer charge is 16 times the typical house. A household is charged $42 per month. So my bill for sewer is always $672 no matter how much water I use. The first month I got the bill I used 66,000 gallons of water but essentially had to pay for 160,000 gallons of sewage.

packerscw

Reaction score
Water and sewer rates around this area are $13.00 per 1,000 gallons water/sewer

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Wow, not sure what my rates are, I better go take a look. Interesting that they're stating that a bay uses that much more than a typical household. Our city promotes using commercial car washes for they are "green" from the perspective of water savings. Kinda talking out of both sides of their mouths?

packerscw

Reaction score
Certainly can tell that a lot of people have very high water and sewer rates.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Outta the blue formula!

... The town has decided to use a new method of calculating sewer rates based off a formula they found published somewhere.
They say that the average carwash bay uses 3.1 times as much water as a typical household.....
Hey, Scott:

Can you track down exactly where and when that goofball formula was published?!!

Thanks.

JJJ/SSCWN

soapy

Reaction score
JJ, I will do my best. I tried to press the city engineer for the scource when I met with him but he was pretty good at beating around the bush.

TurboJet

Reaction score
Per last statement - $5.77 per 1000 gallons for both water and sewer.

Sounds cheap, but my city property taxes last year were $22,000 for a 7 bay SS. Can't win them all.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you try to fight the taxes? They try to raise ours every year but they fold easily when they're contested.

soapy

Reaction score
JJ, The scource for water usage came from a book by Metcalf and Eddy called Waste Water Engineering. I guess it is a industry standard book used across the US. They also used a state publication on SUbsurface water rules.

Alberto

Reaction score
I think if you search some good websites who provides drain cleaning services then you will get to know the exact rates which are applicable for the drain cleaning service in a particular area. So, make a search about the drain cleaning service providers and you can get the quotes in an easy manner.