What's new

Wash type breakdown?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I need to know a few things from all you touchless guys.

-What are your price points?

-What is the breakdown percentage wise for each price point.

i.e.

$5 - 30%
$7 - 20%
$9 - 20%
$11 - 30%

Would these percentages vary by area? I know what my local price points are, but I am not sure about the breakdown by price. I'm trying to do my due diligence, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

briteauto

Reaction score
I am sure they vary by area, but even within my area (the northeast) I see shifts according to the season. In the winters, we have salt, snow etc. Virtually every customer (almost 90%) will go for the top package all day long just for the undercar and wheel/rocker blast.

Summers give me about 50% at the top package. I have my next package just one dollar lower. It does not have the underspray, and keeps the price point higher for those who want all the polishes and protectants, but are not necessarily interested in the underspray. I guess it makes them feel like they don't have to buy something they do not think they need in the summer. It works out well for me because the top two packages account for about 80% of my summer volume. Then I have the 20% that get the basic.

My winter volume has a very low basic count - under 10%.

easywash

Reaction score
my numbers

$20 = 27%
$16 = 27%
$13 = 27%
$10 = 19%

February 1st through today.
Vancouver / Pacific Coast Weather with a snowy winter :)

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That is pretty impressive for an IBA! I'm probably going to go with the Washworld High Velocity since the Razor won't be available until Fall.

For a new install, would you guys recommend a lower 'economy' wash to get people familiar with the machine? Or would you just set your price points and leave them that way?

My biggest competition will be a gas station two miles north of me that offers a $3 economy wash with fillup. Ideas? Suggestions?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Advice, consider developing a marketing plan that aligns your value proposition to customers with your service offering rather than trying to match service with a price scheme.

The last handful of exterior washes I was involved with (IBA and conveyor) have price points ranging from $5 to $13 and each wash is over $10/car, USA locations.

It is generally considered unwise to try and compete on the basis of price with a $3 wash at a gas station because your IBA can't make up the difference in volume.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm $10,9,8,7.

$10 is 75+% of washes; who cares about the rest!?

I'd do cheap for a limited time to prime the pump. It takes a while to ramp up #'s, so do giveaways of tokennotes, free wash for your grand opening, $3 washes for some weekends, etc.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I'm $6, $8, $10 & $12. I have found that $10 is very popular and almost always paid with a $10 bill. I guess it makes things easier. I average $9.2 per wash.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You didn't mention if the gas station wash was an IBA or Express Exterior or if it was friction or touch free. Some of your marketing plan should involve an understanding of their platform.

I tend to agree with Robert. You need to set up the price point and values from the beginning. Rather than compete on price you are better offer competing on value and quality. If you do want to offer an initial price break market it as a grand opening special or something along those lines and position it as the $5 wash for $3 for a limited time. That way you are establishing the price point while still attracting first time customers.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice.

The gas station has (2) Laserwash 4000's.

I like the advice of doing the $5 wash for $3 as a grand opening special. That would work. Because I have only been a self serve wash, I never really focused on the touchless competition that I had. They are a completely different market than what I appeal to. Now that I will most likely have an automatic in at my wash in the next couple of months, I need to get my ducks in a row.

The two other washes in town have the same auto which is called a Cyclone. It is a dated unit that has all the floor steel and the wash unit moves around an ovular track that hangs from the ceiling. The washworld machine will blow those babies right out of the water, I'm sure of that.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
do your best package as your specials and use that one as your giveaway etc. You need to think prime the pump, not give away what'll cost you the least.

only discount the top package for bulk sales and fleet accounts.

you want customers to forget your low-end package! sell em on the top and keep em coming back for the top!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think you first want to build a customer base with a marketing program then get them to upgrade to better packages. Some have tried an across the board discounts on all washes with mixed results. Since your competition is lower priced I think getting them there will be the initial goal. Upgrading would come later.

easywash

Reaction score
discounts

I only discount my washes if they are bought in multiples....

If it's been a slow month I will do a Buy 2 Get 2 Sale. It brings in a nice chunk of change!

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
So it makes more sense to run some 'specials' to get people in the habit of washing? I definitely want to build volume. Once the volume is built, the customers will recognize the quality of the wash and then upgrade from there....I hope.

MEP001

Reaction score
We sent out many free wash coupons after we opened and got about 30% of them back. Sales leveled off pretty quickly at about 50% of washes purchased being the top level.