What's new

vinyl scrape

briteauto

Reaction score
I have a question for all the detailers on the forum.

I've got a black plastic mirror housing on the side of a jeep that was scraped against white vinyl siding on a house. No damage, but white streaks/scrapes are on the black housing now. How can this be removed?

Thanks

soapy

Reaction score
If it is just black plastic and not painted I would first ry to use a pink eraser on it. A pink eraser will generally remove stuff off of the plastic including wax that gets on it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If the vinyl has rubbed off on the surface you may be able to remove it with a solvent cleaner. If it is a scratch that has penetrated the surface you may be able to cover it up with a wax but there is probably no permanent fix outside of having it repainted to cover the scratch.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes I take some mineral spirits on a rag mixed with some rubbing compound, and rub that on a mirror scuff. If it's thick maybe start w/ a razor blade (carefully of course) or 000 steel wool and the thinner/compound paste.

This method will likely require some black vinyl coat or other matte finish black to match the mirror.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wonder if one of those Mr. Clean erasers would work. They claim to be safe for all sorts of finishes.

soapy

Reaction score
Mr clean eraser is not as abrasive as the pink eraser. Another option to try is small brass or stainless wire tooth type brush. Most hardware stores sell them.

briteauto

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

The mineral spirits and some heavy elbow grease did the trick. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mike

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If the vinyl has rubbed off on the surface you may be able to remove it with a solvent cleaner. If it is a scratch that has penetrated the surface you may be able to cover it up with a wax but there is probably no permanent fix outside of having it repainted to cover the scratch.
Waxman, I also had a solution. In any event, glad he was able to remove the scrape.

Etowah