What's new

Victorville, CA

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I am located in the High Desert; Victorville, CA but the area includes Apple Valley and Hesperia as well

I have a security camera system so the information is based upon what I recorded on camera.

I have had 3 incidents over the last 6 weeks.

Incident #1

Two black males in white chevy or gmc late model pickup drove into the bay; and opened all of their doors (they had a truck with the small rear access doors)

They had a Honda type generator for power

They used a high speed grinder to cut the security bar and my locks off. I do not have a vault; older car wash.

They broke in on a Sunday at 2:30 PM in the afternoon; pretty confident

They hit 2 of my meter boxes before driving away

Incident #2

Yesterday, Sunday, 8/31 our coin box was hit again

This time there was a Hispanic looking man and a woman driving the same type of truck as in Incident #1

They opened their doors like in the first case but used a battery powered high speed grinder to cut the bar and locks

They broke in at 5:50 PM in the afternoon when it was still lighted.

They did not know that since incident #1 I put alarm sensors on all of my coin boxes and lids so once they removed the box, the alarm went off

Fortunately, I took the money out in the morning so there was little in the box this holiday weekend.

I feel there is a gang of thieves hitting the car washes in the area with the same method. The truck looked similar so I think they may all be working together but switching crews to do the breaking. Please amend and place this in your crime alert for other self service owners.

Incident #3

I do not know if someone tried to drain my hoppers in my Hamilton gold series (3 hoppers/2 Coinco validators on 8/30 or 8/31. Have you heard of anyone being able to trick the system to dispense the coins without stringing? I did not find any evidence of stringing in the validators. Lucky for me, I use dollar size tokens and they got jammed in the coin chute so the hoppers got jammed and shut down the machine. I have never had this happen to me with a Hamilton in over 17 years of business but thieves are creative.

Do you think this was a machine error or an attempt to drain the hoppers. If it was thievery, can you tell me what I could do to prevent this issue. I remember, Etowah valley equipment having a coin shutoff if too many coins are vended at one time. Are you familiar with this device or is there others that I can apply. I will be going to the WCA later this month and if you are there, I would like to spend time with you on this matter and pick your brain.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Someone called me with some info about coinco validators and stringers by taking a piece of plastic taped to the bill with holes in the plastic so that the rake could cycle. One apparent solution for all validators is the guillotine knife.

denduke

Reaction score
HI, I feel for those that are burglarized, as we were also for many years until I finally
(after 21 years) switched over to tokens. That was about 2 years ago and we have had
NO atempted burglaries or break-ins at all. Yes, I may have lost a bit of revenue as a result of the switch over, but "peace of mind" and safety of using tokens has far surpassed the misery of those past criminal acts.

rzeavy

Reaction score
The last few weeks, the same happened in orange county and riverside county.
They drill through the cover of the coin boxes (stainless steel) and suck up the coins with a vacume (in the middle of the day)

hope this helps

ScottP

Car Wash Owner
Reaction score
Two of my washes are in Riverside County, about 1 1/2 hours from Victorville. Last week someone cut the tube on a vacuum and sucked the quarters out. In July at the same wash I had someone cut a hole in the roof of the equipment room. The alarm scared them off, but they came back two days later and cut the wires to the exterior horns and did nothing else. Since then I put razor wire around the roof and installed dummy cameras. It didn't stop them from breaking into the vacuum but I don't think they got more than a few dollars out of it.

Danny

Reaction score
My warehouse is in Lake Elsinore in a commercial complex, everyone here keeps dogs because the homeless have been getting bold during the day. They walk in the roll up doors and take anything of value.