What's new

Vacuum pricing & Vacuum Bonus Time

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I'd like to increase my vac revenue. Prices are currently $1 - 4 mins and $1 - 3:20 for a 3-motor turbo vac.

I'm considering giving less time while keeping the startup price at $1.

Alternately, I'm kicking around offering vacuum "bonus time" if $X is inserted up front. At my current pricing, this would be something like $2 - 10 mins instead of $ 2 - 8 minutes. Or maybe even make the vac bonus at $3. I'd promote the bonus time with signage.

I assume the cost of delivering vacuum minutes is a fraction of the cost to deliver wash minutes. So is adding a "bonus time" option a good way to increase revenue, or do you think just shortening the times is best?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've thought about this too. I'd have more concerns about lowering the time than increasing the price. Customers do notice if the time is reduced significantly. I would think offering a bonus time would go over better. When I watch, I see the majority of customers deposit $1, vacuum and deposit another $1 when the time runs out. They'd likely take advantage of a bonus time, assuming they read the signs.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Vacs

I've never kept count, but I also see customers spend $1, then have time run out, then spend another $1. If they do this, they are probably typing up my vacuum for at least 10 mins-- especially if they walk over to the changer in between.

How many self-serves offer any sort of bonus times on vacs?

Bill Manke

Reaction score
$1 cash or credit price for 4 minutes. or $1 for Wahcard users double time 8 minutes for a bonus.

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t do Bonus time on my vac’s. But I charge $1 for 3 minutes, it’s been that for years now and have never gotten a compliant about the price. The car wash on the other end of town charges .50 for 5 minutes, his vac’s don’t work very well so most everyone comes down to use our vac’s. We clean our vac's out twice a week.

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Sequoia & others,

We converted our vac coin mechs to Dixmor's last spring. When we did we wanted to encourage use of dollar coins so we are giving an extra minute for use of a dollar coin. If they put in 4 quarters reasonably quick it also gives them the bonus. No regrets. 50 cents gets them 3 minutes. Dollar=>7 min. Our customers are real troopers --- to use --- our vacs when an extremely tough winter settles in here in North Dakota. We are cautious on pricing because we know --- what the dynamics --- that were involved when the very large 14 bay --- completely indoor --- Canadian style car wash was only about 2 miles from us here in Bismarck.

Have any of you vacuumed your car in below zero Fahrenheit weather?

MJ

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Bill ---- yaaah that too! :) Thank God for our Case 1840 Skidsteer! The price of diesel is once again getting to be a factor. We should have it serviced one of these years --- I suppose I will be in a state of shock on a repair cost that it might eventually need. Whale --- I think another blast is headed your way in Fargo again --- we are getting it today!

MJ