What's new

Vac hose cuff vs swivel

OurTown

Reaction score
I have tried what Mep suggested with using a swivel on the nozzle end of our 2" hoses but they seem to seize up fairly quickly. We used to get the standard non swivel cuffs from Kleen-Rite and they actually allow the nozzle to swivel inside it okay. The ones we bought recently were noticably tighter and didn't allow it to swivel as much. If the nozzles can swivel then the cuff seems less likely to unscrew. Has anyone noticed this? The two cuffs do look different so I'm thinking that Kleen-Rite switched suppliers. The one on the right is the new style.

View attachment 1347

Eric H

Reaction score
I've always just jammed the nozzle into the end of the hose without a cuff. They seem to work fine that way.
I bought new vacuums about 10 years ago and they came with cuffs. The added bulk of the cuff made it difficult to grab and caused my hand to cramp up whenever I used them.

MEP001

Reaction score
This is the one I use. Seems to work good. Its rare that one un-threads itself from the hose.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-825-vac-swivel-cuffs-2-hose-x-2-nozzle.aspx
Those swivel cuffs and the claw nozzles are like hot dogs that are almost all sold in 10-packs and buns that are almost all sold in 8-packs. The nozzle fits too far through the cuff and goes into the hose, then it won't swivel. The ring that's supposed to lock in to retain the nozzle doesn't reach far enough. They don't seem to be meant to work together.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Those are the swivel cuffs we tried (only the black colored version) and they locked up quickly. Do yours swivel okay?
I just checked all (4) of them after work today and they all swivel easier than I anticipated! Something I rarely check. I'm guessing they have been in service for 2 years or more...

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe ours are defective.

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
I was able to bend the round end of the claw end into itself, feed it into the cuff and then use the handle of a screwdriver to make it round again. I tried to repeat this at my cousin's wash and we weren't able to repeat it. I'm not sure if it was because my cuff/claw were brand new at the time of insertion and his had been sitting in the sun for weeks. It's pretty annoying. The cuff usually comes off with customer use. Now, it can come off in two ways and never properly seats into the swivel. I have 8 swivels and 10 claws sitting in my storage room and I dread every time I have to replace one from a customer crushing it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My swivel cups seem to get grunged up over time and stop swiveling. A little heat with a torch applied to the cuff makes inserting nozzles easier. Applying heat to the broken off piece of the nozzle makes removing it easier.

toddmullens

Reaction score
soak the swivel cuffs in hot water for a bit and you can take them apart and clean out the dirt that sometimes builds up and prevents them from swiveling easy.