What's new

vac damage

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Morning everyone. This morning got to wash and found my JE adams vacumn had been pryed on to get to the money. The vac is 13 years old and has a pin lock type box. Who ever tried to get to the money also smashed the coin mech door. I was able to make coin door look back to normal. Just hammered from inside and replaced decals. Looks good again. The problem is the coin box. First I could not even get the key in as it was at such a bent angle. Hammered on pin weld and got key to at least go in and turn. Lock won't drop off pin and come out. The face of the box is bent bad and I can't reshape it till it comes off vac. I have 2 thoughts. 90 degree drill for lock or a torch to cut away lock. I am worried about hurting the welded pin. Does anyone have any other ideas or have had to do the same on vac before and tell me which one would be better. Thanks.
P.S. No money was lost.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
It's been said that if you screw a good sized sheet metal screw into the key slot, and then put channel loks on the screw and smack it with a hammer.

If you put a cutting torch on the lock, you can blow it away before you hurt the pin. Stay to opposite side.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
If you can get the key in and turned. Try tapping on the lock with it turned and pulling down on it. If you do destroy the pin it is pretty easy to weld another one on. If you have a welder. Good luck. Bill

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you can get the key in and turned. Try tapping on the lock with it turned and pulling down on it. If you do destroy the pin it is pretty easy to weld another one on. If you have a welder. Good luck. Bill
I do something similar if keys will turn. Insert key an turn to unlock position and place a vice grips plier tightly clamped down on Key so vice grips is horizontal. Hit Vice grips straight down so furce pulss down on Key. Hopfuly it will take lock with it. Pins can be replaced.

If you damage the pin and wish to go another route once you get it open you may be able top cut a slot through vac housing and or Coin drawer an use a Bar with lock for the future.

MikeV

Reaction score
If it is stainless steel, you'll need a plasma cutter to cut it with. A torch won't cut stainless, just melts it. Hey Bill, did you ever get your plasma cutter?

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Used the vise grip idea and worked like a charm. Lock pulled out. Took 2.5 hours to reform box to fit again. Counted money and they would of only have gotten $31.25. Thanks

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Mike V, no, I talked myself out of it. I had no idea what I would do with it and I have a ton of stupid toys now.

Wendy, switch to tokens.