What's new

Using to much salt

Etowah

washman2016

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 9500 set at factory defaults. I feel like I am using way to much salt. Am I safe if I start pulling pines on the brine refill until I see about 1 grain harness at regeneration time? Then add one pin back after this point?

Thanks,
Rick

MEP001

Reaction score
"Factory defaults" are never correct. Measure the height and diameter of your tanks and look at the tag on the brine valve (It's either red or black) and post it here. I can tell you from there the pin gap that should be on the brine refill.

washman2016

Reaction score
I am very sorry for the delay in getting back to this, been out of town.

The currant settings are 10 back wash, 56 brine rinse, 10 rapid rinse and 10 brine refill.

Incoming water hardness is 6

Tank size is 24 x 72

Brine tank is 24 x 48

Thanks very much for you help.

Rick

MEP001

Reaction score
Something isn't right. 24" wide x 72" tall? Is that the width of the tank? Is 72" tall including the head or just the tank?

If 2.0 = brine refill rate and 10 brine refill is 10 minutes, the brining is actually a little short.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Unless you've calculated exactly what your regen settings should be, you probably are using too much salt. Too much water/sewer as well, which is no longer cheap enough to ignore. In my experience it's well worth getting all the relevant data and calculating what the settings should be - you could just move a couple pins, but why not get it exactly right? The service manual has the calculations in it, you can download it here:
fleck service manual

H20man

Reaction score
I believe 24" diameter tanks are 7 cubic feet of resin per tank. You want a salt dosage of 10-12 lbs of salt per cubic foot. So 70-84# per regeneration. need to adjust your refill accordingly. You need 28 gallons of water to dissolve 84 #'s. If your refill piston is 2.0 gpm it needs to refill for 14 min. NOW THE other adjustment you need to make is to your gallons per regen frequency. Each tank should be able to treat 21,000 gallons of water conservatively each regeneration cycle. Age of unit, iron, manganese, chlorine can all factor in but this should be pretty close to getting the most out of your softeners.

P.S. I am a Culligan Water Dealer who just bought my first car wash 6 months ago so i feel only fair to share my knowledge since i have gained so much from this forum. Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe 24" diameter tanks are 7 cubic feet of resin per tank. You want a salt dosage of 10-12 lbs of salt per cubic foot.
6 lbs of salt per cu.ft. is for best efficiency and will yield 20,000 gallons per cu.ft. of resin. 20,000 x 7 cu.ft. = 140,000/6 grains = 23,333.

Assuming the brine refill rate really is 2.0 GPM, 14 minutes of brine refill is double the salt needed to regenerate 7 cu.ft of resin at best efficiency.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Unless you've calculated exactly what your regen settings should be, you probably are using too much salt. Too much water/sewer as well, which is no longer cheap enough to ignore. In my experience it's well worth getting all the relevant data and calculating what the settings should be - you could just move a couple pins, but why not get it exactly right? The service manual has the calculations in it, you can download it here:
fleck service manual
Paul,

Your "Fleck Service Manual" link goes a page that promises another link to the actual service manual & that nested link goes to what seems to be a Pentair advertisement.????

washman2016

Reaction score
I believe 24" diameter tanks are 7 cubic feet of resin per tank. You want a salt dosage of 10-12 lbs of salt per cubic foot. So 70-84# per regeneration. need to adjust your refill accordingly. You need 28 gallons of water to dissolve 84 #'s. If your refill piston is 2.0 gpm it needs to refill for 14 min. NOW THE other adjustment you need to make is to your gallons per regen frequency. Each tank should be able to treat 21,000 gallons of water conservatively each regeneration cycle. Age of unit, iron, manganese, chlorine can all factor in but this should be pretty close to getting the most out of your softeners.

P.S. I am a Culligan Water Dealer who just bought my first car wash 6 months ago so i feel only fair to share my knowledge since i have gained so much from this forum. Thanks
This helps a ton!! My regen dial only goes to 10,500. Is there a way to increase that?

H20man

Reaction score
Suggestion at this point for your easiest fix would be to back off your rapid rinse and refill time to 4 min which will give you a 24# salt dosage. max out meter to 10500 and use 30% of your 7 cu ft resin bed.

MEP001

Reaction score
Suggestion at this point for your easiest fix would be to back off your rapid rinse and refill time to 4 min which will give you a 24# salt dosage. max out meter to 10500 and use 30% of your 7 cu ft resin bed.
That is NOT a fix. It's a jury-rig. The proper fix is to replace the dial and meter with extended range ones.

water guy

Reaction score
Or just replace the head with a Clack Valve and Be Done there very Good Heads with a higher Flow Rate.

MEP001

Reaction score
Or just replace the head with a Clack Valve and Be Done there very Good Heads with a higher Flow Rate.
That's like replacing your car's engine because it needs an air filter.

washman2016

Reaction score
I made the changes and using MUCH less salt now and still making good water. I will replace the head one of these days. Thank you all for the advise and help