What's new

TWO Single Coin Acceptor Approach

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We are somewhat stuck with 8 removable coin box front panels that are wider & shorter than any replacements that KleenRite or any other supplier has available. We would like to avoid replacing our whole coin boxes. The existing stainless coin boxes & existing panels are thicker than replacement coin boxes so you can see why we want to hang onto these already mounted 1987 era Specialty Equip boxes.

Here is the crux of this post: On both the right & the left front of the front removable panels there is a provision for 2 acceptors. We want to start accepting dollar coins along with quarters very soon. If we went with 2 acceptors per box we could use our existing long drop single coin Parker & GinSan acceptors but we would have to deal with the fact that we would have to get 4 pulses out of one of the accceptors for our Specialty timers to repond properly. Does anybody have any thoughts?

DavidM

Reaction score
I would think that would work alright but with a couple potential problems. One, with two acceptors pulsing the timer, there is always the possibility of missed counts. We have seen this with some of our bill acceptor bays. If the customer deposits a $1 coin and adds a quarter while the 4 pulses are being sent it may miss the quarter.
Second, there is the customer confusion issue, dropping the wrong coin in the wrong acceptor.
If you want to keep your boxes, maybe you should look into a multicoin acceptor. That would give you the option of accepting tokens as well.

Another option would be to call someone like Etowah Valley Equipment, I think he has the ability to do custom size face plates. and just replace the door itself. I would think that doors that old should be updated if at all possible.

David

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would think outside the box. If you are going to an upgrade why mess around with Dollar coins? Why not just add Bill acceptors so you can take $1.00, $5.00, and $10.00?

FWIW I did an Add on Box from Etowah after the Show in March. Did half my bays as an experiment. After 6 months decided to do the other half.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Here's a thought, if you put a bill acceptor in the bay, would it be smart to add a vac it up system to suck that bill into the equip. rmm instead of leaving it in the bay?

I know that this might need to be installed in new/remodeled situations, but something to think about.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about accepting dollar coins unless you plan to start giving them out in your changer. We receive on average 2 of them a week, and all our equipment accepts them.

I would also go the multi-coin acceptor route instead of adding a second one.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
From a few reliable sources I have been told that the single acceptors are more trouble free long term than the multicoin acceptors or the bill acceptors. We do give out dollar coins for some other equipment from 1 changer & can easily convert the other changer. The changer also is so the customers do not have to get all quarters for 10s & 20s.

Here in western North Dakota this fall has been cool & wet so the coins tend to be more gritty than some parts of the country so I am concerned about the long term expense of bill acceptors in the bays. Those hunters really have a lot of sand & mud on their large pickups.

MEP001

Reaction score
We've had bill acceptors (Mars) in the bays for six years, and one has just now quit working. They get sand and mud sprayed in them all the time. I've had practically no trouble with the IDX MA-800s in all the equipment - I've replaced three out of 27 over the last six years, and they can be repaired fairly cheap. Jams are practically a non-issue.

DavidM

Reaction score
We have been using Microcoin QL acceptors and they have been trouble free over the last 5 years. I used two other brands of multicoin acceptors and had far more problems. I have a few IDX MA-800s and X-10s that are quite good as well.

Mars bill acceptors have been quite resilient in our bays. I have only had problems with one and it was a $60 repair. Not bad for 5 years.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I don't want to read more into what you guys are saying but it sounds like your experience with bill acceptors is even better & more proven than the maintenance required for credit card swipes. Are you guys thoroughly cleaning the Mars acceptors on a regular basis? Thanks for your replies.

MEP001

Reaction score
I open and wipe the Mars acceptors every few months, just takes a damp terry towel. I've had more problems with the in-bay CC acceptors than the bill acceptors.

I've never used the Microcoin but have heard only good about them. I'm not a fan of Slugbusters, but they've improved them a lot over the years. You'll need the SB III, since the II cannot distinguish between a quarter and a dollar coin. For the same price you can get an acceptor that can take six different coins.

Eric H

Reaction score
Have you considered having custom faceplates made? I have several fabrication shops near me that can laser cut SS and put the holes where ever you want. I'm always surprised at how inexpensive it is when you deal directly with the fabricator.

BTW: I think Etowah Valley has made custom faceplates for a number of people.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I am using the Coinco Vantage. At the Show they demo'd it by spraying water directly in to it. Maintenance history as follows. One died and was replaced under warranty for no charge. One was smashed in and required a $30.00 repair. Someone took a pry bar to one and bent the mouth up. Still in place and still works.