What's new

TV Ads on 22" Monitors On Gasoline Pumps...Your Opinion On This Type of Advertising?

Carl

Reaction score
TV Ads on 22" Monitors On Gasoline Pumps...Your Opinion On This Type of Advertising?

Salesman comes into my office and is promoting something I have to admit after thinking about it a while, I think is a GREAT idea! I liked advertising my business on 30 second TV spots but HATED the cost and the fact that the TV ads were so far-reaching (well beyond my target radius), and I felt my lone carwash didn't need such wide-reaching exposure hence my overpaying for such a wide span of advertising coverage for what I really needed.

This "new thing", at least in our fair city is what this man calls, "point-of-purchase" HD TV. Basically, these are 22" TV screens set on top of gasoline pumps and so basically when customers are filling up their gas tanks they are indeed a 'captive audience' and then you're able now to bombard them w/ TV advertisements where before, I even admit while pumping gas I usually read anything and everything on the pump from the octane rating's details to whatever small ad is on the pump handle. (15 seconds to 30 seconds ads continuously looping in a ten-minute reel)

My question is: Do you think this is a good form of advertising for us? Have you seen this done in other cities? Is the volume loud enough for the ad to be heard? Or is this obnoxious and almost makes you want to pump your gas at a convenience store which DOES NOT have POP TV or do you think this is part of the future in advertising and a great deal to purchase ads on! The thing I like about it is the cost and then the fact that I can choose gas stations to advertise from which are close to my carwash. I also like how the audience is truly "captive" unlike TV where through a DVR you can forward through the commercials or take a bathroom or snack break while commercials are on...at a gas pump you're stuck there and have to listen/see the commercials blaring at you from atop the gas pump. Just wondering if any of you have seen this form of advertising yet at any gas stations and what you thought of it since this is so new here and I've not yet seen it in action. Thanks. - Carl

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We have those at some of the gas stations around our town they display the weather, stations specials etc they do grab your attention just the cost of the screens is my fear.

Carl

Reaction score
Advertising Rate Information

If I were to sign a 3-month agreement, they want $250/month to show our 15 second ad a minimum of 144 x's each day. For a 30 second ad they want $500/month. This drops to $175 & $350 respectively if one were to sign a 13-month agreement.

It all sounds so interesting. Will drive soon to some supposed gas station locations where these are installed and working right now so I can see for myself. (I asked the guy if the sun were shining directly on the monitor, if you could still see the image and he said "definitely" you can w/o a problem.)

- Carl :rolleyes:

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
A 15 second ad is pretty short to convey anything, and it sounds kind of expensive for a 30 second ad. If they are displayed at dozens of stations it would look better. You know at night on radio stations is really cheap also. Around here you can get ads for like $13 at night with about 2-3K listeners.
Sounds almost better to be the one installing them at the stations.

MikeV

Reaction score
They have those at the station I usually use. It also has a "volume off" button, which I usually push as I find the ads irritating. You can definitely hear them and the picture quality is good, so it might be good for you. At east check into it.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
It does sound interesting...
A few random early morning pre-coffee comments:
- cost of creating the ad? Can you then reuse it elsewhere?
- a quick calc of $250 / 144 broadcasts * 30 days comes to about 6 cents per broadcast of your ad.
- what is the timing of the 144 showings of your ad? Night? Rush hour? spread out?
- how busy is the gas station, ie how many times will a customer actually be at the pump when the ad runs?
--> What I'm getting at here is, what is your cost per viewing, NOT cost for how many times the ad runs. And what % of those are potential customers as opposed to commuters.

- I tell the guys who work for me on a regular basis: if you give me one option, you have not given me a choice, you've given me a decision. So my question for you, Carl, is what alternatives are you evaluating this against?

- I recall looking at "car wash radio" a number of years ago, I thought that was a cool idea & would seriously consider it if I had time. I know a few operators do variations of it