What's new

Trim turned blue??

sparkey

Reaction score
I had a customer go through my wash and call me an hour and a half later to tell me that the trim around her windows had turned blue, kind of like a motor cycle tail pipe does when it gets hot. To me it almost looks like corrosion. I run only hi ph presoak and when I titrated it, it was right on target. I have never had an issue like this before and have probably ran 500 cars since with no issues. I am at a loss here. I don't believe its an issue with my wash. I can't see the damage on my cameras where she exited the wash. This is a 2019 Mercedes so its a new car. Anyone ever ran into anything like this? I am a little suspicious getting a call an hour and a half later. I am wondering if she washed her windows with something harsh or its just junk trim?

soapy

Reaction score
Anodized metal trim on BMW and MB seem to do it most. Generally you can take some polishing compound like me meguiars scratch X and remove it with a clean cloth. Similar to oxidized paint.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Ugh. I haven’t seen this in a while and assumed Mercedes had fixed it for good. I haven’t seen it on any recent models. don’t think there is a clear coat on the anodizing. Cleaner wax will work to improve the appearance , but it will do it again when it’s washed. Look at old PT cruisers driving around and you will see that type of damage on them too.

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
This is just crazy that this happens on a new car. I thought all trim had some type of anodizing like aluminum wheels do.

JustClean

Reaction score
German cars don't like touchfree carwashes! There are no touchfree machines in Germany due to the road grime.
The cars are build for brush machines.
As said before: Wax will take it out

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
This is just crazy that this happens on a new car. I thought all trim had some type of anodizing like aluminum wheels do.
I believe it is the lack of clear coating on the anodizing that causes the problem, but not 100% sure.

soapy

Reaction score
I just read that Honda RIdgeline pickups years 17 - 19 are under recall because acid based soaps at car washes causes the fuel pump to develop cracks. Honda is installing cover over the fuel pump under the recall/

OurTown

Reaction score
I just read that Honda RIdgeline pickups years 17 - 19 are under recall because acid based soaps at car washes causes the fuel pump to develop cracks. Honda is installing cover over the fuel pump under the recall/
Yeah. There was a thread here about that a while back. Diamond Wash posted it I think?

sparkey

Reaction score
So would Hi PH presoak do this or is the a low PH thing? If this happened at your wash would you pay for the damage since it appears to be a manufacture defect?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
So would Hi PH presoak do this or is the a low PH thing? If this happened at your wash would you pay for the damage since it appears to be a manufacture defect?
Hi Ph does it. I would not "pay for damages" since it can be waxed out in 15 minutes. in the mid 2000s some volvos would do this too and they actually issues a TSB that said "use cleaner wax" to fix it. Your customer will not be able to use that wash again without this happening. Since this is a problem with one line of cars and not all lines, I consider it more of a problem that will have to be eventually addressed by the mfg. My wash does not do that to my 2014 E63. This is also concerning to me because I have a lot of Mercedes come through.

You can try swapping to low pass followed by high and that may help. Swapping to a presoak that uses sodium metasilicate as a builder might help. Perhaps someone with a higher level of knowledge on that can comment.

Last edited:

Eric H

Reaction score
My wife just forwarded an email from my son's friend's mother asking about this. Thank god I remembered this post and have an explanation, it's embarrassing enough when stuff like this happens but even worse when it is someone you know

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
That looks like a black trim piece. What kind of car is it Eric?

Eric H

Reaction score
Mercedes SUV possibly a GLE. I think it if from the Bug-A-Salt pass on the Washworld Razors. The Bug-a-Salt only applies the chemical on the front of the car up to the side mirrors. if you look that is about where the staining stops. i haven't spoken with here yet...she told my wife it wipes of easily.

sparkey

Reaction score
I am about to post signs at my wash. "We are not responsible for Mercedes vehicles" do to their substandard trim.