What's new

tri foam

briteauto

Reaction score
I have a smaller tunnel that I took over a while back. The equipment order is as follows:

All Belanger - Four basket front to rear mitter, low side washers, high side washers.

The tri foam application is set up after the high side washers, and stays on the car a few feet, and is then rinsed off. Is there a benefit to having the tri foam worked in with the friction? I know it may help with rinsing, but that is not a problem - I am getting a good rinse. I guess I am asking if the foam is more effective (by effective, I mean in lowering the ph to help with drying) if it is worked in? Obviously, in a touch free, it is just rinsed off. Are some types of foam better than others if they are not worked in with friction? I use Lustra products.

If I change the position of the tri foam to before the mitter, then I am applying it before the car is washed, and I am already using an alkaline solution at this point on the vehicles. I use a low ph tri foam to help with drying and would prefer not to apply it too early in the tunnel.

What are your thoughts?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
My thoughts on the "working it in with a mitter" aspect of tri foam is that one part of this activity is for the "show effect" for customers and the part is to help ensure full coverage of the product to the vehicle surfaces.

On the former aspect, yes, working tri foam on the vehicle with cloth or foam brushes does provide some additional cleaning power. However, by the time the vehicle has reached this module, the cleaning phase of the wash process has essentially been completed. On the latter, it does not take much time for these chemicals to react on the surface of vehicles.

If you are getting a good rinse and dry with the current set up, I would leave well enough alone.

briteauto

Reaction score
Thank you, Robert. I guess it falls into the cataegory of "if it aint broke, don't fix it!" I was just curious and wanted to get another take on it.

Mike

Chiefs

Reaction score
I would guess is that the trifoam would be easier to rinse if it goes on before the mitter as there will be less of it to rinse off in the first place and it will provide better lubrication for the mitter. But the only way to be sure is to try it if you've got the time. The only concern I have is that it does not intefere with cleaning. This is always the $64question in a short tunnel.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I have the tri foam after both my wraps but right in front of my mitter.
So the mitter works the foam up to a lather and also pushes most of it off.
My question is should I put the tri foamers between the first and second wrap but before the mitter?
Use the second wrap to work the foam into the finish also pulling some of the foam off the car in the process.
Then have my mitter work the foam on the top and sides pulling most of the foam off the car.

Etowah

briteauto

Reaction score
Bill C. - thanks for your reply. I might experiment with this when I get a chance and try applying it prior to the mitter.

I have the tri foam after both my wraps but right in front of my mitter.
Question for you, JMMustang: Do you have only one mitter? So the first touch on the top of the vehicle is with the trifoam? It hasn't been cleaned with a regular detergent up to this point? As Bill brought up - does it interfere with cleaning?

That is my issue - only one mitter. I probably could solve that with a small side to side unit after my current equiment package use to work the tri foam in, but more equipment is not in the cards at this moment.

Mike

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Bill C. - thanks for your reply. I might experiment with this when I get a chance and try applying it prior to the mitter.

Question for you, JMMustang: Do you have only one mitter? So the first touch on the top of the vehicle is with the trifoam? It hasn't been cleaned with a regular detergent up to this point? As Bill brought up - does it interfere with cleaning?

That is my issue - only one mitter. I probably could solve that with a small side to side unit after my current equiment package use to work the tri foam in, but more equipment is not in the cards at this moment.

Mike

I have only one mitter but I have presoak going onto the car about 30 ft. before the mitter.
I also have a high pressure arch for the top and sides of the cars.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know tunnels, but I do know there are different types of trifoam. Some are intended to be applied and rinsed, some have instructions of applying before the mitters. You definitely want to use the correct chemical for your setup and to achieve the results you want.

briteauto

Reaction score
I checked with my distributor and the product I am using is appropriate for "spray on, rinse off" application. I was not aware there were different types, depending on if you were to use friction or not.

I'll keep everything as is for now.

Thank you all for your help.