What's new

Trans-mate express detailing

Parker

Reaction score
anyone try trans-mates new line of express detailing products, i guess you just spray on and wipe off, just wondering how they were and if they're any good...

TheDoc

Reaction score
While I personally haven't used them yet, I can tell you that you should be looking to use a compnay that can do more than just sell you the chemicals. A kit of products and a banner doesn't make a Program work.

Are you currently detailing? If so, what types of services?

Thanks

Parker

Reaction score
no I'm not currently detailing just was wondering about their products (i use their soaps) and how they worked. Was thinking of doing a sort mini express detail thing were you could get your car washed/vaced and a "express detail" job for like $30 and would only take 15-20 mins

Eric H

Reaction score
you should be looking to use a compnay that can do more than just sell you the chemicals.
The only company that I know of that sells "more than just chemicals and a banner" is Simoniz. I was never impressed with the Simoniz system. I was a Simoniz detail center over 10 years ago at the full serve I ran but we were only using their wax products. Were were using a number of Trans-mate products as well as Zep (Zep 40 is really good on windows!) and Stoner tire shine.

I will say that the detail rep from Trans-mate was really knowledgeable. They did have a lot of aresol cans that made application really fast.

I think we as operators get more of a warm and fuzzy feeling by trying to associate with a name brand than the customer does. Find a product that you like the results of and use it. If that means having 100 different brands in the shop then do it. Every product line has items that REALLY work and others that fall short.

buda

Reaction score
The Doc has given you some good advise. A successful express detailing program is more than chemicals. You need a planned out program and you need to know what it is going to take in terms of money, equipment, personnel and space to achieve what you want.

There are companies out there, as well as Simonize that offer programs, Blue Coral, Turtle Wax, DETAIL PLUS, etc.

My advise to you is to consider first what it is you want to do and then what is it going to take to achieve that. If you do not know what to even consider then you need to ask around as to what "a good express detail program is?"

Regards
Bud Abraham

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you plan to start an express detail program find a good local distributor of products that can supply you products, training and support. Buying products long distance can create problems. In addition to the extra expense and time it takes to get the products that may be involved as someone just starting out you need some hands on training and support that can only be done by a local distributor.

There are many fine express products on the market and as someone already mentioned there is more to it than signage with a brand name on it. The bottom line for a successful program is that you do an excellent job. That requires on-site training. Find someone locally you can depend on for products and support.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My experience in detailing has taught me that very few customers care about brands of products. Some may THINK they do, but very few really have any idae what makes a good wax/dressing/cleaner.

It's up to you as the detailer/owner to select the proper products to accomplish two important things:

1. maximize profit from the job.

2. create a finished product that gives the impression to the customer of a perceived valus that is equal to price.

That's really all customers care about; price vs quality. If you nail that, with whatever product/method, you'll get tons of repeat customers.

These days especially, I stick to what works best for me and buy in as big a quantity as I can to get a per-unit price break.

Danny

Reaction score
That's really all customers care about; price vs quality. If you nail that, with whatever product/method, you'll get tons of repeat customers.

These days especially, I stick to what works best for me and buy in as big a quantity as I can to get a per-unit price break.

Waxman you couldn't be more right. Nobody likes wasting their money on junk unless it is cheap cheap junk. In that case you get what you pay for.

I learned from an old timer years ago about the price per unit and how it can add up. He was able to save enough buying by the drum and in cases to pay his supply costs for a minimum of one month every year based on his savings over buying in smaller quantities for a year. It was also much easier to track inventory and costs all the while saving.

A penny saved is a penny earned!!!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I would tend to agree on buying in bulk but only for products that are used in a reasonable amount of time. If you buy a drum and it takes over a year to consume it you are tying up inventory dollars that will eat up any savings and in some cases the product will go beyond its shelf life and negatively affect performance.