What's new

Top brush "lower downer" ?

mac

Reaction score
I seem to remember a simple device to lower the top brushes on older systems. It used a container filled with oil with a needle valve to adjust the rate it would lower. Does anyone know it this is still around? I'm trying to get rid of as many NS parts as I can on their fleet washes. They use a regular shock that rusts out pretty quickly.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
I seem to remember a simple device to lower the top brushes on older systems. It used a container filled with oil with a needle valve to adjust the rate it would lower. Does anyone know it this is still around? I'm trying to get rid of as many NS parts as I can on their fleet washes. They use a regular shock that rusts out pretty quickly.
You mean like an air over oil actuator.....

mac

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Are they still around?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Not sure how your equipment works. Have some top brushes. Air over oil can be a PITA. I simply use a shock to dampen the action along with a needle valve on the exhaust side of the solenoid valve. Yes. shocks do have to be replaced periodicaly. You can often get spares easily thru companies like Sonnys or AVW or if your lucky match it up with a car or truck shock available at the local auto parts store.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I would use an air cylinder to hold it up and then a needle valve (as Mr. Weiss suggested) to make the brush drop gently. No need for shocks just rubber bumper stops at the up and down positions.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would use an air cylinder to hold it up and then a needle valve (as Mr. Weiss suggested) to make the brush drop gently. No need for shocks just rubber bumper stops at the up and down positions.
Problem (possibly) with Ryko Pros solution depends on needed speed of up motion. Without a shock you will get a lot of bouncing at the up which I think wwill put undo strian on the air cylinder and mounts.

Etowah