What's new

Top Automatic package pricing more than $12?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Our Auto pricing is 8, 9, 10 & 12 and has been this way for at least 3 years. While volume is definitely down, our average ticket has not waivered. Lately I have been seeing Laser washes around us charging either 9, 10, 11, & 13 or 9, 10, 12 & 14! I have been through all these washes and the quality is typical touchless and the 'show' is less than dramatic. No thick triple foam or vibrant colors or fragrance which to me is at least half the touchless experience. I don't know the operators, so I don't know where their avg ticket is. What do you think the average ticket should be to indicate if $13 or $14 is too high or a smart strategy?

briteauto

Reaction score
Our Auto pricing is 8, 9, 10 & 12 and has been this way for at least 3 years. While volume is definitely down, our average ticket has not waivered. Lately I have been seeing Laser washes around us charging either 9, 10, 11, & 13 or 9, 10, 12 & 14! I have been through all these washes and the quality is typical touchless and the 'show' is less than dramatic. No thick triple foam or vibrant colors or fragrance which to me is at least half the touchless experience. I don't know the operators, so I don't know where their avg ticket is. What do you think the average ticket should be to indicate if $13 or $14 is too high or a smart strategy?
Not sure about pricing in your specific area, but one method I have always employed is making the top wash look attainable and as if you are getting the best value by purchasing it.

When you price 9, 10, 11, 13 or 8, 9, 10, 12 - you are asking the customer to spend $2 more to upgrade from the penultimate wash to the ultimate wash. A pricing structure o t 8, 10, 11, 12 separates the top two washes by only $1, thus showing the customer how much more they get (since it is usually loaded) for the top package.

Another advantage I have found to this pricing structure is that is does separate your economy, quick, bargain, cheap (whatever you want to call it wash) away from the others with extra services. This highlights its value as a cheap wash with no extra services.

You might add two services between your top two washes - say undercarriage and triple foam. The customer then sees that they are getting two extra services for $1 more. You might ask, then doesn't that make the services look cheaper? No - it is about package pricing - they are already spending $11, so as a value or bargain to them it is only $1 to add the top two services. In my experience, it draws more people to the top wash. Their choice becomes only $1 more for the top wash instead of I can save $2 and still get almost the best wash.

Naturally, each extra service would be much more if it was sold a-la-cart, but we are talking about the menu packaging model.

Just my thoughts.

chaz

Reaction score
we are priced at 6 8 10 12. our top wash adds trifoam, an extra soap and extra rinse pass. By far a much better value and wash then my 10. But since I save a rinse, soap, and trifoam....I make more on the 10, so I am ok with somone saving 2 bucks for almost the best wash.

briteauto

Reaction score
we are priced at 6 8 10 12. our top wash adds trifoam, an extra soap and extra rinse pass. By far a much better value and wash then my 10. But since I save a rinse, soap, and trifoam....I make more on the 10, so I am ok with somone saving 2 bucks for almost the best wash.
That makes perfect sense. Also the fact that all the packages are separated by $2 does not make it appear that the top one is a bigger jump than all the others.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
We are priced at 8 - 10 - 12. Volume has risen modestly each of the last two years, and the top two packages account for two thirds of the washes. While I may be forced to add a buck to each wash, I'm trying to wait until volume plateaus rather than drive numbers prematurely down with an increase. The other unknown is how high gas will go and how much that will depress volume and operators. I'm already seeing a shift towards the SS side, but at least htey're still washing.
Unless you're making it up in volume, it's hard to justify a $6.00 wash that involves labor, especially if the IBAs are getting that or more.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since no one in the market you described has a comparative advantage, you should be able to follow street prices without losing volume.

Otherwise, and without knowing more about circumstances, some options would be to offer more products and services and/or significantly increase throughput so you could pursue more aggressive pricing.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At 55% top package, it is time to raise your price.

vinh

Reaction score
I also thinking of raising prices this year. Currently $4, $5, $6, and $7. Wash is in rural town with lower income customer (trailer parks). My auto is 10 year old and was reluctant to go up it prices. It still cleans good though. Nearest competition is 14 miles away with same price. I remember 5 years ago a 55 gallon of Kleentrack 1A was only $240. Now it is $360.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I recently raised my prices and from 6,7,8 to 7,8,9 thought about a $10 but haven't pulled the trigger (still trying to buy the bullets), we are also tied into the BP station next door and people have not complained about the dollar increase but with gas prices sky rocketing we have noticed in the past month that the $7 and $8 washes are becoming more purchased then before not saying nobody is buying my $9 wash but it shows some people are now watching how they spend their money more closely also the express wash down the street went from $3.00 to $7.00 a basic wash with ala cart items going up $1 more.