What's new

Token Accepters

firedigger

Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been covered before or not, but what do you guys think is the best token or multi coin accepter? I curently have sensotrons and have just quarters. We are going to be selling tokens just to a few customers that have out grown our IBAs and have decided that tokens would be the best way to keep their buisness. Of course like everyone else this project is on a strict budget. Thanks....

Randy

Reaction score
There all good. I’ve always have had good luck with the Slugbuster II with the EZ door. If you’re on a tight budget the Slugbuster II is the one I’d go with.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ours are all IDX MA-800s, and I've had only one out of 30 quit working in six years. They repair them at a very good price. I've heard good things about Secure Coin but have never used them. I don't like Slugbusters - the SB II will accept a dollar coin and give credit for a quarter, so to keep from ****ing off customers you'd need the SB III. The EZ door doesn't lock closed securely and someone beating on the meterbox can cause it to fall open.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
I have used the Slugbuster 11 for 3.5 years and have not had a problem. You can insert a screw on the easy opening door and it will secure it so no one hitting on door will cause it to open. Yes the 2 will take a dollar and only give a quarters worth of time. I installed 26 of them. Over the 3.5 years I have only had 1 customer complain about only giving 25 cents worth of time and I gave him a dollar back. I did not know this at time of purchase. If I had to do it again I would buy the Slugbuster 3. Still happy with the 2's. The only thing I don't like about the easy open door is the side it opens on. I thing they should make a right hand opening and a left hand opening. My timers are on the side that it swings open on. Would be great to open on what side works best for the customer.

mjc3333

Reaction score
coin acceptor in bays

I've used the Slugbuster II for 12 years running. I do not vend $1 coins, but the II does see them as a quarter. I use a special CT token from Van Brook in KY. The slugbuster II is an economical way to accept quarters and tokens. I tried the Scan Coin which can take the quarter / $1 coin, and three different tokens. The problem with this acceptor is how you program the tokens. Drop 3 or 4 to read the tolerances. With this setup I was still getting some other tokens on a regular basis even with the CT control token. With the Slugbuster II I may get 2 or 3 outside tokens per month. The EZ door is great because it opens; however it does not have a decent way to keep it shut other than using 2 screws on the side. This only works for about 10 - 20 cycles of screwing and unscrewing. Then the plastic wears out. Talk to Linda at Parker about this. They need to use a different clip / closing system for the EZ door. If you have the $1 circulating more in your area, go with the Slugbuster III. I think all of the acceptors have their own inherent issues. One is not ultimately better than another.

firedigger

Reaction score
Thanks, we don't have many of the dollar coins floating around our competitor up the road was using them but they are sut down for the winter and maybe longer. I do have a few slugbusters laying around so I think thats what I will try. I am just going to put these in a couple of bays and sell the tokens just to my big customers, and if it takes off maybe do it in my other 2 washes.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I solved the Slugbuster II easy open, opening when it wasn't supposed to with a little Duct tape. Don't wear out screw holes and no tools needed to open.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I solved the Slugbuster II easy open, opening when it wasn't supposed to with a little Duct tape. Don't wear out screw holes and no tools needed to open.
I have lots of SB II's with the door and drill a small hole in the door clasp and insert a hairpin cotter pin to keep the door closed (I wasn't sure what to call it and according to Wikipedia it is a R-clip). I don't much care for these acceptors though.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ghetto Wash said:
I have lots of SB II's with the door and drill a small hole in the door clasp and insert a hairpin cotter pin to keep the door closed (I wasn't sure what to call it and according to Wikipedia it is a R-clip).
That's a good idea - I wondered if there was room for one.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I have lots of SB II's with the door and drill a small hole in the door clasp and insert a hairpin cotter pin to keep the door closed (I wasn't sure what to call it and according to Wikipedia it is a R-clip).

I don't much care for these acceptors though.
Which rejector would you like to use over the SB II if you had to switch?

Randy

Reaction score
I must be living right or doing something wrong because I have very few problems with my Slugbuster II Coin acceptors, I can’t remember when the last time I had a coin jam. I replaced them once with MA-800’s and then pulled the MA-800’s out, had the Slubguster II made into the EZ model and reinstalled the Slugbuster II’s. It’s not a big deal taking the Dollar coin, the slot on my Slugbuster Ii is to small to accept the Dollar coin. I wouldn't switch, the customer service to good at Parker to change.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Which rejector would you like to use over the SB II if you had to switch?
Sensortron.

But I only use them with quarters, not tokens. I switched to SB when Sensortron were being tricked with magnets and am now moving back to Sensoron as I believe these issues have been resolved (haven't verified yet though).

mjc3333

Reaction score
Slugbuster II Parker

I must be living right or doing something wrong because I have very few problems with my Slugbuster II Coin acceptors, I can’t remember when the last time I had a coin jam. I replaced them once with MA-800’s and then pulled the MA-800’s out, had the Slubguster II made into the EZ model and reinstalled the Slugbuster II’s. It’s not a big deal taking the Dollar coin, the slot on my Slugbuster Ii is to small to accept the Dollar coin. I wouldn't switch, the customer service to good at Parker to change.
Why did you pull out the MA-800's? What kind of problems did you have with them? I agree about the customer service at Parker. Linda and Doug Parker are great to deal with.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are a lot of things I don't like about Slugbusters.

1) They fall apart over time; the plastic cracks and the tiny nuts work loose, and you end up with screws in the quarters jamming your counter or hopper. Eventually the acceptor is so loose it doesn't work right.

2) The difficulty of clearing a coin jam, unless you have the EZ model, then you have to jury-rig it to keep it closed.

3) As mentioned, the SB II will accept a dollar coin and read them as a quarter. The newer models have a slot big enough to take a dollar coin.

4) After installing six SB II's and discovering they take a dollar coin and read them as a quarter I called Parker. "You'll have to upgrade to Slugbuster III's." They wouldn't offer any sort of exchange for the newly-purchased SB II's for a discount on their recommended fix.

I don't like Sensortrons either, only because if they die after the warranty is up they're trash since they don't repair them. Otherwise they're probably the best single-coin electronic acceptor. The Multitrons are more expensive than MA-800's and far more finicky; they still repair them but at a flat rate of about half the cost of a new one, whereas most others can be factory repaired for around 1/4 the price of new.