What's new

To Oil or not to Oil

SuperShineGeorge

Reaction score
I am new to the Express Wash Business and am managing a just built and opened 120' tunnel. My question is weather I need to oil my conveyor chain. I have X-458 and everyone I ask has a differant answer. I wonder if the benifits of keeping the chain lubricated out weighs the down side of attracting dirt? If I do need to is once a week needed or will once a month do...I know it most likly will depend on how many cars....I think once we get up to full speed we should get around 8k to 10k a month.

thanks in advance for the expert advice :D

George

MikeV

Reaction score
I don't think oiling a chain in a car wash environment will last very long. You might want to have a stream of water aimed at the chain just to try to keep the harsh sand and dirt off of it to prevent wear.

Danny

Reaction score
I too have heard many opinions over the years from my customers on this. Here is what I have put together from the ones that seam to have the best maintenance programs. Oil does not last, use a grease. The product that I have heard the best results from is LPS #3. This goes on as an oil and dries to a grease. In doing this the product penetrates the links and pins providing lubrication where you need it. The simplest form of application I have heard of is to apply the product in a spray bottle and spraying the chain as it runs past the sprocket until the entire chain is coated. Once a month is the general consensus.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/corrosion_pg/lps3.html