What's new

Titration

bbonipart

Reaction score
I use a variety of concentrates and powders at my self serve. I haven't run a titration test before, but think I need to. I have no idea how to run this test. Does anyone know of any instructions on how to run these and a recommended test kit?

Thanks,

Brian

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
I use a variety of concentrates and powders at my self serve. I haven't run a titration test before, but think I need to. I have no idea how to run this test. Does anyone know of any instructions on how to run these and a recommended test kit?

Thanks,

Brian
Try LaMotte Industries for a kit....

soapy

Reaction score
Kleenrite sells a simoniz titration kit that I have tested against the blendco kit. They both have the same values as far as drops etc. so you can use the simoniz kit and save a lot of money on the it.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You can titrate with most any kit. I buy my indicator and titrant in bulk from a lab supply. But without guidelines from your chemical company you must establish your own baseline of performance that works. It is easier for someone new to this to ride on the backs of other chemical companies and purchase their kit, and find out what other operators are titrating their products to. Once you titrate the alkalinity of your product to their level you can make a more fair comparison between products.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
You will have to put some effort in establishing titration factors for each of your chemicals(Unless the company provides them)....Then you can establish your actual dilution ratios......

JustClean

Reaction score
The Blendco rep says to test 10ml of soap solution and recommends a titration of 45 drops.

My current chemical supplier says to test 30ml of soap and recommends a titration of 35 drops.

With 10ml the soap titrates at 23 drops, with 30ml it is 47 drops. Same test kit.

Does that mean that Blendco is burning cars? :confused:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Titration gives you the concentration of a solution. Presumably you match it to some standard like what the supplier reccomends.

But what does that really give you?

In this industry we need to provide the "Steak" which is cleaning, and it must be safe for the finish and in the SS for the customer. In fact it must be safe enough to the extreme since the customer will mess things up any way possible.

But, just as important are 2 more factors. The sizzle, both visual and smell, and cost.

Will the supplier recomendation optimize all 3 factors?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I agree with Earl.

Titration is a method to determine solution concentration, but you must also consider the nature of the chemistry you are dealing with.

Years ago, I worked for a chain that used an obscure blender to make chemical. At that time, one of my cars was a new Civic, leased.

Having access, I used this vehicle several times a week as the daily phantom wash.

After nine months or so, I used a detailer’s paint magnifier to confirm my suspicion that the clearcoat was severely damaged.

To further Earl’s steak argument, customers also come to you for desert – shine and protect.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most quality car wash detergents are buffered to prevent damage. What buffering does is to slightly lower the pH for an alkaline product or raise the pH slightly for an acidic product. What this is designed to accomplish is to give you the cleaning power of the higher or lower pH while affording some protection against damaging the surfaces.

Very few low cost or locally blended cleaners do this which is partially why they tend to be cheaper since there is a cost involved in buffering that they do not have to absorb.

JustClean

Reaction score
The Blendco rep says to test 10ml of soap solution and recommends a titration of 45 drops.

My current chemical supplier says to test 30ml of soap and recommends a titration of 35 drops.

With 10ml the soap titrates at 23 drops, with 30ml it is 47 drops. Same test kit.

Does that mean that Blendco is burning cars? :confused:
Earl: >>Titration gives you the concentration of a solution. Presumably you match it to some standard like what the supplier reccomends.<<

Please correct me if I am wrong: Since I do the titration with acid or alkaline drops shouldn't it show me the "strenght" of the alkaline soap or acid soap and not taking any other ingredients into consideration?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Titration tells you the concentration of a product. Products from each company have different titration kits and tables. An experienced chemical guy is able to make their own titration table for anyone's product and can determine the concentration of the product. How well the product cleans really depends on the product itself and its formulation along with the concentration it is being applied as well as the water quality, temperature and dwell time.