What's new

Tip from Dad

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a paste wax in my detail shop. When a can is nearly empty, a small amount of wax is left around the edge of the can.

We save the cans and used to scrape all of the wax into one can. Then we would use a heat gun to melt the chunks. There's usually enough left to wax 25-30 cars (at $69.99 each it's worth it!). The heat gun method is okay, but it's another step and if you're not careful the wax will flame.:mad:

Well, my Dad came by today and said; "put it on the coffee pot burner to melt".:)

I did and within a few minutes it was almost perfectly melted!:p

Good tip from Dad for easily getting the most from your wax in a can. Plus, you should be all done with hot coffee by 11 a.m., right?:D

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your post matches your avatar perfectly! Too funny.:p

jfmoran

Reaction score
I would be curious to know if melting down the wax degrades it in anyway?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i think some of the solvents are lost which makes it harder to use, somewhat.

gloss and durability seem fine.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Reheating will definitely make the product more difficult to use and may affect the longevity of the protection and shine the product produces as well. It not only reduces the solvency which in turn reduces the cleaning ability of the product but it may also adversely affect the properties of the waxes or sealants in the product. While you may be saving some money you may also be shortchanging your customers.