What's new

Time to check the weep system

Eric H

Reaction score
Just a tip for the new guys here. It was 40 degrees this morning when I got to the wash, which reminded me that I better check the weep system before I find out it is not working.

Be sure to take out and clean the strainer if you have a Watts U5B pressure regulator. Close and open the needle valves that conrtol the weep rate, junk likes to build-up there and cause flow problems.

I usually look for 10-12 oz per minute from the gun and much less from the brushes.

good luck:)

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
how did you arrive at 10-12 oz per minute?

perhaps you used to be closer to 8 but froze on a record cold (how cold) night?
or perhaps you decided this was an "affordable" amount of water?

anyhow, I just measured mine (previously set by eyeball) and was about 3x that fast, so I slowed it down to your suggested 10-12 oz per minute range

Eric H

Reaction score
That's the amount my Distribitor told me about 10 years ago. He was in the business since the early 60's. He told me to check the flow by taking a soda bottle (back when they were 12 oz) from the trash and it should fill in about 1 minute. My weep is actually set higher than that (about 24 oz/min) because I have a weep reclaim system, so water usage isn't a concern for me.

I do turn the weep up in Feb when we see temps at night that reach 20 below zero.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Ben's

And we don't have to worry about a hurricane destroying our washes. I'll stick with the cold! :)

BigLeo

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My weep has failed 3 X so far this winter. Once when for some unexplained reason the weep Mizer lost it's mind and didn't go on. Simply cut the power an turned it on and it worked fine. First time this has happened in 3 winters. But all 8 bays froze. Some leaks when it thawed.

Second time a windstorm took many covers off the trough . They are tied better now. Third tiome was due to clogged nozzles and or bad guns.

Etowah