What's new

The State of Detail

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My detail shop seems quite busy, which is great.:)

I'm always trying to streamline processes, shop for bargains and increase sales.

My question is: will you raise prices for 2011 in your detail shop? Expenses aren't going down and consumers seem to have more free cash for detailing in my area. When my schedule book is full but expenses keep on their upward trend, I think 'price increase'.

Thanks!

bigleo48

Reaction score
When my schedule book is full but expenses keep on their upward trend, I think 'price increase'.
I would say you are correct. My sense of detailing is that customers want quality over price. If your detail shop is booked...they must like your work. Then they won't mind a reasonable increase.

Big

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
People are experiencing price increases in almost everything they buy. They understand that increased costs mean higher pricing. As long as you keep in within reason, a price increase involves little risk in losing any business.

jfmoran

Reaction score
If your costs are going up and your margins are dropping then it only makes sense to raise your prices. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it were my shop and simultaneously I would put together some sort of incentive discount packages that would reward loyalty and frequency.

buda

Reaction score
Increasing prices

Operators always justify a price increase, but one has to be very careful when they increase prices.

While you might feel completely justified as all the posters here have indicated, you have to put yourself in the consumers shoes.

You loose some customers when you raise prices. The key is, does the increase in price offset the loss of customers.

It is always better to look internally. How can you reduce costs before raising prices. How can you streamline your operation to reduce costs or do more work with the same labor, etc.

As well, by not posting prices and selling off estimate prices you never have to worry about the customer knowing your prices.

You bid the job based on your hourly shop rate. If you do not post your hourly shop rate the customer never knows that you moved from $50 an hour to $55 or $60 do they?

Price is only an issue if you make it an issue.

If you do not post prices the customer will never know.

The key to a purchase is selling the need. If you do not have price the customer has to let you look at the car to ascertain need and then you do your selling magic by selling need and why. Then price is really not as much a factor when you have established a need.

If you post prices, PRICE is a factor before you have established the needs.

It works, I did it in my two detail centers and never had a single problem with a customer not having posted prices.

Price conscious customers are not loyal customers and not ones you want.

That is my position on the matter.

Know your operating costs and have your accountant establish an hourly shop rate that includes all your expenses, your salary, benefits, vacaction, etc as well about about 15% profit. And if your shop rate is lower than what the market will pay, then by all means, charge more.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great input Bud. I guess I always knew that but it was somehow counter-intuitive when it came down to creating a brochure, etc.

I'll give that a shot for 2011.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think Bud's first detail was a Model T.

Seriously, Bud has been involved in all facets of the detail industry from owning a shop to supplier and worked hard to advance the best interests of the detail industry by working to develop a viable detail association. I truly admire his efforts. He knows the business and his insights are valuable for those wanting to success in this business.

Last edited:

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
I share Bud's philosophy but, oddly, seem to practice it more with the wash pricing than detail work, maybe because the wash is so temporary that I want to encourage frequency through affordability.

We actually raised our detail prices $10-$30 this year. The vehicles we're seeing warrant it and there's always the option of discounting for loyalty/frequency. The increase does seem to have negatively impacted tipping though.

MC