What's new

The dreaded midnight phone call

cherokee235

Reaction score
This is not how I wanted to spend my night. The clerk at the c-store next to my carwash called at 12:16a.m. You've got to get down here, quick. A customer had driven into the alley behind the carwash, crashed into the power pole and knocked down the c-store transformers laying them across my fence between the vac shed and mud drying bed right next to the c-store. 4000 volt lines laid across my vac shed and carwash bays making great 4th of July fireworks.

I run down there and there are 2 fire trucks, 4 police cars and a small crowd. The lines are hot and no one can touch the buildings. The lines are on the ground for almost 500’. We wait 30 minutes to get the power company guy there. He drives off to find the circuit switch and kills power for the entire neighborhood, about 60 homes.

I begin to clean up my stuff and by now it is almost 2:00am. A bucket truck shows up and more power company guys come. They had to replace 3 transformers. Oil from the fallen ones was all over my parking lot. The power guy goes to Walmart to get kitty litter for the oil. I gave him my number and went home, not falling asleep till 3am.

I go down this morning at 7:30am and they just had just left. I turn on all my breakers and everything worked except 2 vacs that the fallen line had pulled down an overhead that serviced those vacs. The c-store powers up and everything works but their air conditioners. They called the HVAC guy and the phases were changed and all their compressors were running in reverse, ouch!!

I spent the entire day rebuilding the overhead to the vacs, cutting off damaged roofing, repairing the fence, and cleaning up. The assailant left the scene, but a neighbor got a plate number. The cops haven’t found him yet. The guy also took out the cablevision line and the AT@T telephone pedestals and ran over a water meter, but fortunately it stayed intact. I was mad as a hornet when I got down there last night, but looking at it in the daylight, this could have been so much worse. 3’ feet to the left and it would have taken down a big portion of my vac shed. 6’ to the right and it would have been inside the walk in cooler of the c-store. I do not see how this guy got his car away from the voltage lines without getting fried from live wires. It is amazing.

How was your day?

captain cw

Reaction score
Ouch!!!! Great attitude. I would have been out for blood and bummed out the driver did not get fried.