What's new

The 700 billion dollar bail out

• Thread starter Patrick H. Crowe
  • Start date
P

Patrick H. Crowe

The senate just passed the bill. The vote was 74 to 25. McCain & Obama both voted in favor.

I once again find myself far to the right of Bush and his administration. How any authentic conservative could possibly support this bill seems impossible to me. I strongly oppose the bail out.

Conservatives are supposed to favor smaller government. They are supposed to oppose government intervention. This entire mess shows the gross incompetence of this administration and it is clear and compelling proof of the hyprocisy of these people. How tragic!

Now they want the taxpayers to hand them 700 billion dollars to spend as they see fit. Isn't that insane? What happened to genuine free enterprise.
Let it operate and stop the fear tactics.

They brought this on themselves. The good old SBA made loans which conventional lenders would never have made. Terms for car washes way too long, down payments way too small. In the end the greedy bankers encouraged such borrowing because it lowered the risk to the bank. There are abandoned car washes here, many bankrupt and being vandalized.

Opportunity knocks. Here's why. When the market fell 777 points I had my broker on the line as the market opened. I bought puts because I could see it was panic selling and sure to rebound. Moreover, because it seemed likely this "conservative" administration would push through some form of the bail out bill, the market would take off. So be it.

Patrick H. Crowe

Mike

Reaction score
I agree. Bailing out risk takers is just wrong. I say let the greedy bankers and CEOs go under. Maybe shareholders will take more interist in they way business are run, maybe for long term growth not short term profits.

If the goverment is afraid the credit markets are locking up, why don't they take the 700 billion and start a bank type entity, and loan money out at market rates to businesses that can offer up enough collateral to qualify for a loan.

If you cant qualify for a loan, then save up some money.

This county has been building up debt for the last 25 years, in the early 80's average debt for persons was about 50% of GDP, now its is over 100%, this is not sustainable in the long run.

anyway, I will get off my podium now.

Mike

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Today I'm told this is not a bail out of Wall street. It is to ease a credit crisis because companies need to be able to borrow to "make payroll" or "to buy inventory".

I have been in business over 40 years. I've never had more than 12 employees, never more than 8 washes. The whole notion of borrowing to "make payroll" seems to me to be a joke. Any business which can't make payroll without borrowing is hoplessly under capitalized. Ditto to borrow to buy inventory. That strikes me as "funny business".

I borrowed to expand, buy more locations and so on but to borrow to make payroll or get inventory is management gone goofy in my view.

Patrick H. Crowe